Scheduled maintenance on Saturday, August 8th from 7am to 10am (UTC). Licensing registrations and key activations will be unavailable during this period. More info here.

Blacklist Appliance

Does Sophos "blacklist" appliances? I sold an SG115 on eBay and the user is filing a claim stating that Sophos has blacklisted the device. What exactly does this mean I've been using the device over a year now loaded with UTM 9 Home with no issues.

• Hi,

Did the second customer get any notification of blacklisting or any specific message that concludes that the device is blacklisted? Alongside, I suggest you to install SG115 hardware software on the appliance instead of the Home UTM software. 

Thanks

• In reply to sachingurung:

He said when he started it up the wizard asked him for a license, so he then called Sophos and they told him that serial number has been blacklisted. To which I responded that there never has been an enterprise license associated with the device, and I have always used home and he can get a home license for free via the portal. 

It is running the hardware version I used SSH to remove the ASG file. (I think that was the file I needed to remove per the forum to make it work with a Home license, not fully sure presently.)

He will/has not provided me with the serial number to validate his claim.

So the question still remains, do appliances get "Blacklisted" by Sophos, and if so why?

• In reply to BlueRue:

It sounds like the guy just needs to sign up for the free home-use license - no worries about any potential blacklist.

If he wants to use the SG for business, he'll want to re-image it and then install the license supplied by his reseller.  I don't ever recall hearing of "blacklisting" a unit, but we should let Sachin get the official word from Sophos.

Cheers - Bob

• In reply to BlueRue:

Hi All,

We do not blacklist appliance.

Thanks

• BlueRue

Does Sophos "blacklist" appliances? Psiphon I sold an SG115 on eBay and the user is filing a claim stating that Sophos has blacklisted the device. What exactly does this mean I've been using the device over a year now loaded with UTM 9 Home with no issues.

Thanks for the post

• In reply to sachingurung:

Thus is one of tne advantages over Cisco, which considers any sale on the used equipment market

as a hostile act, rendering the unit unsupportable