This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New Sophos UTM User coming from SonicWALL

Hello, 

My company is looking to move off of SonicWALLs (that we have used exclusively over the last 10 years) onto Sophos UTM.

I have received my new unit today, SG135, and I am playing around with the interface. While I know there is going to be a large learning curve, there is one point that I hope someone could help clear up.

We support small to medium sized businesses and often times they have devices on the LAN that need public access. With SonicWALLs, you simply had a Public Server Wizard. You enter the private and public IP, services used and click apply. It automatically created all the rules needed in NAT and firewall. I don't see this feature in Sophos, and furthermore I see that you have to import a certificate for mail servers. Is it really this much of a process to setup public access on a Sophos?

Maybe I am not understanding it right, but that is the reason for my post. Any help from anyone coming from SonicWALLs would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi, and welcome to the User BB!

Before going any further, read through the Rulz.  In general, the Zeroeth Rule is very important.  For your question, pay special attention to #3, #4 & #5.

To achieve the same functionality with the SG135 as you had with the SonicWALL:
      Go to the 'NAT' tab of 'Network Protection >> NAT' and start a new rule.
    • Select 'Rule type: DNAT'.
    • Click on the folder icon beside the 'For traffic from' box and drag-n-drop the "Internet" object into the box.
    • Do the same with 'Using service' or click on the + icon and add one.
    • Pay attention to #4 when dragging something into 'Going to'.
    • Pay attention to #3 when creating the Host object that goes into 'Change the destination to'.
    • Pay attention to #5 and leave the service change empty.
    • Select 'Automatic firewall rule'.
    • Select 'Advanced' and 'Log initial packets' so that you can confirm functionality by watching the Firewall Live Log.
    • Save the rule and Enable it.

You could wind up with a rule like:

The Web Application Firewall is where you would need an HTTPS cert if you wanted to use the Reverse Proxy to protect a web server.  I don't know if SonicWALL even offers that functionality.

Cheers - Bob
    PS The learning curve will be shortened if you understand a few things.  WebAdmin maintains databases of objects and settings.  When any of those changes, the Configuration Daemon reads the databases and writes the new lines of code that actually provide all of the functionality.  That code isn't unlike the plain text codes used by Cisco and others.  A single small change in WebAdmin can cause the rewriting of hundreds of lines of code.  Changing the IP in the Host definition for a server will cause that value to be changed in every place that Host object was used.

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Just did the same thing, over the last month I've been demoing a UTM to replace my Sonicwall and have it fully integrated in my environment now.

You should learn how accessing a LAN pc/service from the internet works without the need for a "wizard". But in a UTM it is as simple as creating your firewall rule(s) and appropriate NAT rule(s). Exactly the same thing the Sonicwall "wizard" does for you.