This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can I upgrade SG 105 disk and RAM?

I’m planning to purchase a Sophos SG 105 or SG 115 for work.  We use less than 1 Mbps, but we need many services (Firewall, NAT, IPS, Email Protection with spam filter and antivirus, URL filtering and antivirus, Webserver protection and a couple SSL VPN connections).  We want to buy an appliance and pay for a subscription and support rather than roll our own as we do with our current, non-Sophos firewall.

My question is: What happens if I open the SG 105 and replace the HDD with SSD (which I prefer for reliability, it will be an enterprise grade SSD) and upgrade the RAM to 4 GB (for future-proofing)?  Can I reinstall and have it keep working as an appliance?  Similarly, what happens if the HDD crashes, can I replace it with one off the shelf or do I have to wait for a replacement from Sophos and go without a firewall?

I read the thread below, and got the impression that if I did this it will be like using the free version on a home-built computer, which I don’t want.

[URL="https://www.astaro.org/gateway-products/hardware-installation-up2date-licensing/54063-sg105-home-use.html"]www.astaro.org/.../54063-sg105-home-use.html
[/URL]
I’d be happy to pay for the SG 115 to get the 4 GB but I’d still like SSD.  The SG 230 with SSD is not in our budget.

Thanks for any responses.  A high quality user forum is a major factor in my purchasing decision.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • If you are worried about downtime from a failed drive, you should be worried about downtime from a failed SSD.

Consider getting a second SG115 (you don't need a second license for the features, just the base hardware) and use an active/passive HA setup.  That would be a far better choice than modifying a preconfigured appliance.
  • If you are worried about downtime from a failed drive, you should be worried about downtime from a failed SSD.

Consider getting a second SG115 (you don't need a second license for the features, just the base hardware) and use an active/passive HA setup.  That would be a far better choice than modifying a preconfigured appliance.
Children
No Data