This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Use the UTM as an NTP server

Is it possible to use the UTM as an NTP server? I've created a firewall rule that allows NTP to the UTM, but when I ask a Windows machine to sync time, I get an error and the firewall logs show a dropped packet going to port 123.

Do I have to set the computers to sync off the UTM or is it possible to redirect all requests to port 123 to the UTM? (I'd rather do the latter)

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I use my UTM as my NTP server.  All of my clients are directed to the IP of the UTM.

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

• I use my UTM as my NTP server.  All of my clients are directed to the IP of the UTM.

Did you hard-code the IP/name of the UTM to each machine or are you using the UTM to forward all NTP requests to the UTM?
  • I figured it out. Looks like the only way to do that is to use a NAT rule to redirect NTP traffic to the UTM. That looks to be the most "seamless" way of doing it (unless someone knows of a better way).
  • Hi,
    why don't you use the ntp option in your dhcp server?

Ian
  • Hi,
    why don't you use the ntp option in your dhcp server?

Ian

Only Linux takes advantages of that DHCP option (Option 42), Windows and Apple require special configuration to do that (unless you're on AD).
  • You need to add your internal network to the list of allowed clients to sync the time...
  • I figured it out. Looks like the only way to do that is to use a NAT rule to redirect NTP traffic to the UTM. That looks to be the most "seamless" way of doing it (unless someone knows of a better way).

no need for nat just add the internal networks into the allowed networks section.  do NOT allow the external wan network/s.

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• Did you hard-code the IP/name of the UTM to each machine or are you using the UTM to forward all NTP requests to the UTM?

I just changed my machines to look at the UTM IP address here at home.  Like William said, keep that off of external networks.

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

• no need for nat just add the internal networks into the allowed networks section.  do NOT allow the external wan network/s.

I did that, but when I try to sync my MS Windows machines, they fail. The only way I got it to work is to enable NAT to redirect all requests. I could go and change the settings on all the machines, but using NAT seems like the easiest/fastest route.
  • Windows often fails the first time or two when syncing to an NTP server.  Overall, though, it should work fine.