This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Udpxy package?

Hello,

Fighting with IPTV for a while, I finally got igmpproxy working on my 9.1 UTM (Thanks the german forum!)

No luck, I got my IPTV working, but this is broadcasting any requested Stream to the lan, which may kill my wifi...

I would like therefore to try using udpxy instead of igmpproxy, as this should be avoiding the broadcast issue. I have to admit being a linux unexperimented user, so would appreciate if someone could post a compiled version of udpxy (ideally 64 bits) so i can play with it...

Thanks in advance!

Félix

PS: If someone got a way to avoid broadcast on an igmpproxy config instead, I would be happy with it, too [:)]

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello,

Fighting with IPTV for a while, I finally got igmpproxy working on my 9.1 UTM (Thanks the german forum!)

No luck, I got my IPTV working, but this is broadcasting any requested Stream to the lan, which may kill my wifi...

I would like therefore to try using udpxy instead of igmpproxy, as this should be avoiding the broadcast issue. I have to admit being a linux unexperimented user, so would appreciate if someone could post a compiled version of udpxy (ideally 64 bits) so i can play with it...

Thanks in advance!

Félix

PS: If someone got a way to avoid broadcast on an igmpproxy config instead, I would be happy with it, too [:)]

Compiled this on opensuse 12.3, and tested on my UTM 9.194-5. Runs without errors, although I didn't spend any time with configuration so YMMV. Unzip to /usr/local/bin and create a symlink from udpxy -> udpxrec in the same directory.
    udpxy.zip
  • Hello agentdr8,

Thank you very much for the binary, I installed according your instructions and it is running fine [[:)]]

Currently configuring my mediaportal and will et people know if it's working fine (I guess some German T-Home users would like to know [[:)]] )
  • Hello,
    Everything seems to be working fine so far, I just have a small problem...
    My udpxy is starting fine at boot, however I need to add the equivalent of this to my rules to make it work (it is not taken into account from my startup script - why?):

iptables -A INPUT -p igmp -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A INPUT -p udp -m udp -d 224.0.0.0/4 -j ACCEPT
    iptables -I INPUT -p 2 -j ACCEPT
    iptables -I OUTPUT -p 2 -j ACCEPT

I tried to create a script with that and add it to /etc/crontab-static, with no luck...
    Can someone help me on that? How could I create equivalent rules in the firewall, or anywhere else in the GUI? Or how can I add it to a cron?

I do have TV working now, but it requires me to log on as root and manually run the iptables command, I'd like to have this run after the GUI is available, or on a cron every x minutes so it will apply shortly after rebooot...

TIA
    Félix
  • I realize ther is a command called "cc" that allows some config to be stored in the DB, might be the best solution...
    So far, I have the rotes set up through cron every minute, as I added them to the crontab.logging files, as per a post I found saying this will not be overriden by the middleware taking care of the cron files...
    Someone got a hint about setting these through cc rather than cron?
  • Hi, put the firewalls in via webadmin; there's no other way to make them stick.

Barry
  • Hello,
    Thanks Barrry, but how do I make these rules?How can I say "iptables -A INPUT -p igmp -j ACCEPT" in the GUI, for example?
    I searched but I only saw from here to there using that protocol - but igmp isn't in the list, for example...

Sorry for the noob question [:)]
  • Hi,

If there's no igmp Service Definition, then you can create one.

The igmp Input rule would be specified as:
    source: LAN Network OR ANY (depending on what you want to allow)
    dest: LAN Interface ADDRESS (or LAN & WAN addr; depending on what you want to allow and how this thing is supposed to work)
    service: IGMP
    ALLOW

For this one:
    iptables -A INPUT -p udp -m udp -d 224.0.0.0/4 -j ACCEPT
    you'd need to create a Network Definition for the 224.0.0.0/4 network.
    Also, you need to figure out if it really needs ALL UDP ports... then:
    source: LAN Network OR ANY (depending on what you want to allow)
    dest: 224.0.0.0/4
    service: All UDP?
    ALLOW

iptables -I INPUT -p 2 -j ACCEPT
    IP Protocol 2 is IGMP; so this rule here is the same as the igmp one above

iptables -I OUTPUT -p 2 -j ACCEPT
    also IGMP
    source: LAN Interface ADDRESS (or LAN & WAN addr; depending on what you want to allow and how this thing is supposed to work)
    dest: LAN OR ANY
    service: IGMP
    ALLOW

Barry
  • Hello BarryG,
    Sorry for the late reply, I was quite busy these days...
    I tried to add the rules as you explained, but it didn't work...

I went back to my cron based solution for the time being, but I'll retest your proposal, which is obviously the good way of doing it. I guess I missed a small point somewher, so I'll do some more tests when wifey is not in front of the TV set and will give feedback!

Thanks a lot for your help, on that topic and some others, you always provide good advice - Hope sophos is giving you some money for the support you provide [:)]
  • Hi,

Check the logs first.

I don't get paid here, but they did give me a power-user home license.

Barry
  • Dear all

I have UDPXY working now. See below my settings if you come through google [1].

There is a last aspect I have to solve about the playlists. Maybe someone could give me a helping hand?

What works:

I can open streams by having http://<ip address of proxy interface>:<port>/udp/<destination stream address>:<port>.

Problem:

The IPTV provider has playlists to open channels. Those playlists cannot be edited on devices (apple tv) or apps.
    Every channel has <destination stream address>:<port>.

Question:

I would need to find a way to pass the requests on that particular port through udpxy.
    With Sophos UTM 9x, how can I have the UDP Proxy transparent? .. I was playing around with NAT but with no luck so far.

Kind regards

N3

[1] Settings/ Procedure

- Upload udpxy binary /usr/local/bin on your sophos 

- start with  udpxy -a eth0 -p 5000 -m eth1 -T -vvvv -c 100, where ETH0 is your LAN interface, ETH1 your WAN interface

- create a new network definition on sophos. "My Multicast", Type: Multicast Group, IP 239.0.0.0 (change this to your providers information), Netmask /8

- create a new service definition on sophos. "Streaming Port", Definition: TCP/UDP, Destination Port: 5000 (change this to your providers requirements), 

- create a new FW rule for the stream: Source: any ipv4, Service: "Streaming Port", Destination: "My Multicast"

- create a new FW rule for the stream: Source: internal lan, Service: "Streaming port", destination: Any

- create another FW rule - this is for udpxy: Source: internal network, Service: any, destination: internal adress (or the address of your proxy interfaces local addresss)