This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Mail out stuck in smtp spool

Hi im running a new installed utm 9.005-16... everything is working, exept my admin mail from my sophos. every backup and admin notification outgoing to my gmail account is stuck in smtp spool....
in mail manager i get this error mesage:

Message Delivery Log:
2013-03-24 00:20:10 ******@gmail.com R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp defer (-53): retry time not reached for any host
2013-03-24 02:50:09 alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [173.194.64.26]:25 Connection timed out
2013-03-24 02:50:09 ******X@gmail.com R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp defer (110): Connection timed out

i know what it means...but how do i correct this??

regars Peter

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Since it looks like you have set up SMTP, perhaps you have not opened up SMTP in the firewall settings? [:)]

It times out, ergo it cannot get any reply from the SMTP server it wants to connect to.
  • Hi i have a firewall rule : Lan - any-any allow....but still not working..

i get the same in smtp log:

2013:03:24-16:49:06 Sophos01 exim-out[10025]: 2013-03-24 16:49:06 1UJXjO-0008Kg-Cq alt2.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [74.125.142.26]:25 Connection timed out 

peter
  • A tip would be to test with a "any  any", allow all rule in top of the ruleset, just to see how it handles that. 

Remember that that any rule that matches first is used, so if you stop all traffic in rule #1, and allow everything in rule #2, everything is stopped.
  • this is strange...i have testet allow any-any as number 1 rule...turning rest off....but stil get the same.
    2013:03:24-17:12:25 Sophos01 exim-out[13126]: 2013-03-24 17:12:25 1UJKsK-0001dm-DQ gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [74.125.143.27]:25 Connection timed out

peter
  • Hmm, can you without problem send mail (via SMTP) from within your network then?

Interesting challenge, this [;)]
  • hmm i only have a outlook client with pop...sending and receiving from gmail.
    im not sure how to send with smtp without a exchange server...

er du norsk??

Petter
  • Hi, Peter,

Is it possible that your ISP blocks SMTP?  You can set a smart host on the 'Advanced' tab of 'Management >> Notifications'.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • hi
    it could be...i had a astaro 8 before i installes a fresh sophos 9...and it just did not work one day...and still not working..

But then i need a smarthost server??

peter
  • Hi,
    You can set a smarthost in the mail security settings if you're using mail security.
    Otherwise, you can set it in the Notification settings under Admin.

Barry
  • Like Bob said maybe ISP is blocking you.
    Exclude your personal Pc from SMTP service and put a rule to allow your Pc to any, on top.
    After that telnet "smtp.gmail.com 25" if the connection fails for sure port 25 is blocked by ISP