This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Fighting buffer bloat

Bufferbloat

it has become a real problem.  There's several technologies in development here that Astaro and others in the networking community should be looking at.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• I wasn't sure there was an official conclusion on the Security now ep

but there was a suggestion to match the internal buffer at or slightly below the capacity of outgoing connection

Im not sure how you would caclulate the speed to size ratio but sounds like something that could be done pretty easily by the router itself if it was a built in proccess
  • The Security Now podcasts dumbed that one down quite a bit. The problem is a bit more complex then just a buffer here & there. The linux stack alone has several layers of buffers from the device drivers on up. The DSL & Cable modems have their own. Core networks have yet more. If you really want a good technical discussion about the issue Jim Gettys' presentation at Google Tech Talk ( link ) is worth the hour long watch.

Do not get me wrong, this is a serious issue that needs to be addressed at all levels from the ISP's & core network operators on down to the home users & their routers, it's just not something twiddling a few dials on an Astaro will fix. [:)]
  • I know it's complex..but this is a pointer to get things rolling as well..[:)]

Owner:  Emmanuel Technology Consulting

http://etc-md.com

Former Sophos SG(Astaro) advocate/researcher/Silver Partner

PfSense w/Suricata, ntopng, 

Other addons to follow

• update on this

look up

"Controlling Queue Delay."  And essentially they have developed a new algorithm.  The name is CoDel,
  • Did this make it into UTM version 9.1? Didn't see it in the release notes.

Thanks,

James.
  • This is in 9.1 (actually was introduced in 9.050 Beta). Enjoy!
  • Thanks Angelo. So there's nothing we need to do to turn it on, correct? No UI.

It's automatically using it?
  • correct, we do all the magic and work for you in the kernel. [;)]
  • So, I have been using Sophos for a little while now...and mainly because no other router software I was installing on my custom builds was even working in a stable fashion.  I had people telling me to try pFsense...tried it...crashed on a custom build.  Then there were problems with USB 3 drivers (tried to use USB nic).  I finally landed on Sophos (truth be told it was my roomie who tried all the other options, and when tasked to fix this issue I landed on Sophos and it's been ROCK solid since).  I have enabled QoS on the WAN to help with bufferbloat.  I've noticed that doing DSL Reports' Speed Test I get a grade of an A on bufferbloat when the QoS is on.  However, since updating to Sophos 9.500-9, whether the QoS is on or off...I get a score of C.  Somehow, the QoS is on (and changing the numbers for limiting upload/download have an effect on the overall speed score) but bufferbloat is now scoring a C with it ON or OFF.  Doesn't seem to be doing what it did before.  Is fq_codel broken?  Thanks.