"No space left on device" message???

At the login screen there is a message being displayed:

syslog:  cannot create /var/chroot-smtp/dev/log: No space left on device

What does this mean? How can I prevent this from happening again?  If I use syslog, which service will generate this message, so I can monitor for it and for other disk related issues that might comeup?

Thank you.
  • This means that your hard-disk is full   Sad
  • In reply to yashax:

As far as I know, Astaro DOES rotate log files. But even then you're HD could be full. I guess the SQUID logs take most of the space.
  • In reply to Rick_01:

I really need to figure out exactly what caused it and what can I do to prevent this from happening?
  • In reply to Rick_01:

Sorry, I knew that much.  

Someone PLEASE still respond to this e-mail?  Exactly which logs are getting full?  Does Astaro rotate the logs or do I need to do this myself?  Does anyone have a good script to archive and rotate all of the logs?

Thank You.
  • In reply to yashax:

Hi yashax and all the others,

I do not think that HDD is filled up, but no more
    inodes are left. That can happen in environments
    without SMTP access.

Check in REPORTING/SMTP Proxy if there are undelivered mails. If yes, get rid of the
    mails by following the instruction described
    in this document,
    http://docs.astaro.org/docs/Howto_delete_emails_from_queue.txt

bye
    o|iver

[ 07 November 2001: Message edited by: oliver.desch ]

• In reply to oliver.desch:

Check the numbered directories in /var/chroot-smtp/qmail/queue/mess 

I had the same problem and there were a huge number of emails stored in the numbered directories.

Now, the actual fix would be to figure out why they were in there, but I took the easy way out and just deleted them...

Greg
  • In reply to Greg Myers:

Help. Since I now know where the space went, how do I figure out why the messages are being queued up and not being sent.

Not it explains why I am not receiving any e-mail from ASL, nor am I getting any e-mail backups.

Please advise what to do next on trying to figure out the problem with qmail?
  • In reply to yashax:

I also need help with qmail. I need to reconfigure the name it identifies itself as when it connect to a email relay. Is there a manual for qmail? I assume it is not an Astaro product.
  • In reply to nospamsam:

I meant to suggest that.

ASL identifies itself as 220 asl.sendarian.co.uk (in my case). It would be a far better idea surely to anonymously identify itself rather than with a valid domain name.

OR

Is there some reason for it to identify itself properly?

Sean
  • In reply to NugentS:

Hi yashax,

please do not crossposting!