This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Disable Web Filtering Via CLI

Hello,

I'm looking for a way to disable web filtering via the CLI as mentioned in the topic. Recently the team I work with has decided to reduce the departments license cost so we have allowed our web filtering license to expire. After a grueling 50 minutes with hands down some of the worst support I've ever had to deal with I gave up speaking with the gentleman and came here hoping I could find some answers.

I've been told the only way to truly disable web filtering is via the GUI and only with the appropriate license. I've been given 2 options it seems and that's to apply a 30 day license and disable it, or pay for the extra web filtering just to hit the disable button. I disagree with this being the only method. Unless I'm completely mistaken I should be able to manipulate this in the CLI and not have to goof around with the license on two separate production UTM's. It just seems asinine to me.

My dilemma is that the SUM is reporting the web filtering as broken on two UTM's due to the feature not being disabled before the license expired, and SOPHOS decided to grey out the entire page turning it into something I can't even interact with instead of just forcing the feature off. Can anyone more knowledgeable about the CLI of the SG330's enlighten me on why it isn't possible or share the command needed? The gentleman I spoke with on SOPHOS's support team couldn't answer any of my questions on why it won't work and was trying to hurry me off the phone instead of working with me.

Thank you in advance.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi,

I did not quite get the problem with the SUM (I have not used it much and would need a screen short to understand this particular behaver :-) )

However, you can disable the WebProxy with CC. This will turn off: “Web Filtering status” (Web Protection > Web Filtering > Global)

Please always make a backup before the change, it has worked as expected on my demo appliance, but I cannt guarantee that this will not brake anything.

su-

to see the object in the first place:

cc get_object REF_DefaultHTTPProfile

turn off:

cc change_object REF_DefaultHTTPProfile status 0

to turn on:

cc change_object REF_DefaultHTTPProfile status 1

Greetings

Ps, to change the license (as long you have your original one) is pretty fast and straight forward too

• Hi and welcome to the UTM Community!

You have the answer you were looking for.  Your reseller could have provided you a 2-day demo license including Web Protection so that you could have disabled it in WebAdmin.  I imagine the Sophos Support guy didn't feel he had the authority to tell you that.  Still, I'm amazed he didn't know the simple command to disable Web Filtering.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I was a little floored to figure out he didn't know. He told me a tier two technician had told him as much which I'm less likely to believe. I think it was just a individual who was ready to go home for the day and wanted me off the phone haha. I'm glad someone here knew so I could resolve the issue, albeit a tiny problem, but the less red I see in the SUM the better.

Thank you!