This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Is software UTM performance limited?

Hi all, I am running Sophos UTM Home (currently 9.702-1) for years and have been very happy with it. I have always had it running as a VM in ESXi on a NUC and with IPS running I was limited to about 340Mbps. This was fine since my internet downstream was 100Mbps, then 250Mbps and then 360Mbps.

I have a big brother to the NUC which is a 20-core (3.5GHz) Xeon ESXi server so when my internet connection went up to 600Mbps I moved the Sophos VM to that big ESXi server. The config is the same on both so I didnt have to change anything but I noticed I was still limited to about 375Mbps (vs 340Mbps on the NUC) on the big server. Turning off IPS I was seeing the full 600Mbps.

CPU usage was only hitting 25% when running a speedtest but just to be sure I shutdown the VM and gave it 16GB of RAM (up fom 4GB) and 16 cores (8cores x 2 sockets up from 4 cores x 1 socket), started up the VM and reran the speedtest (various providers) and again hit a limit of around 375Mbps. I turned off IPS and it jumped up to the full 600Mbps.

So I am wondering what is the reason for this? Even if the Home version was limited to 4 cores/cpus, the 4 cores @ 3.5GHZ that should still be more than enough horsepower to do IPS at 600Mbps.

Thanks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply Children