This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

DO NOT INSTALL 9.703-2!!!

DO NOT INSTALL 9.703-2!!!

My lab system was Up2Dated to 9.703-2 Thursday evening at 10PM CDT (UTC -0500) and all connection with the outside world immediately stopped.  My local connection would work normally a few minutes at a time and then everything would lock up for a few minutes.  I could not identify the problem with top, but did see a lot of zombie confd processes.  I lost the entire day of Friday because my wife has a big project due next week and was working via Microsoft Teams all day with her colleagues.

I will suggest to Sophos that the file be removed from the ftp site. Grumble.

Cheers - Bob

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I too have had serious issues with 9.703.  The first attempt of update, the system's BIOS could not find the boot drive.  I replaced the drive and reinstalled up to 9.702.  I tried the update again.  This time the system rebooted, but could not get to the Internet or to any internal IP address.  I started a PING on the UTM towards a internal IP.  The pings would either be UNREACHABLE or would be Operation Not Permitted.  It looked like the Middleware was continuously restarting.  

• Ahh, uff, then I really had luck so far.

Installed 5 different locations with 9.703 until today, not a single site had problems you describe here. Strange.

Mit freundlichem Gruß, best regards from Germany,

Philipp Rusch

New Vision GmbH, Germany
    Sophos Silver-Partner

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.

• you may well have had luck on this, I must also say that out of the 3 units I upgraded, only the most complex of all of them went completely south.

the 2 x SG135 both upgraded without a hitch (thankfully)

the 1 x SG310 had similar symptoms to 

I am starting to feel that although Sophos have some great products, there are still some serious shortcomings with their QA process, and the fact that when we do log tickets with their support the response has not been very reassuring.

Along with the fact that when they do release updates for the UTM, these updates seem to be flawed in some critical way.

I used to be an evangelist for the product range, but this is being tarnished by the lack of attention to their customers (part of me jokes that of course we are cyber secure, if we have no firewall we have are secure!).  I say used to be, unless Sophos pull something out of the hat soon they will loose a considerable portion of their market place.

XG & UTM Architect (Systems: XG v18 & UTM 9.7 - Virtual, HW & SW)
    Curious enough to take it apart, skilled enough to put it back together, Clever enough to hide the extra parts when I'm Done!

• you may well have had luck on this, I must also say that out of the 3 units I upgraded, only the most complex of all of them went completely south.

the 2 x SG135 both upgraded without a hitch (thankfully)

the 1 x SG310 had similar symptoms to 

I am starting to feel that although Sophos have some great products, there are still some serious shortcomings with their QA process, and the fact that when we do log tickets with their support the response has not been very reassuring.

Along with the fact that when they do release updates for the UTM, these updates seem to be flawed in some critical way.

I used to be an evangelist for the product range, but this is being tarnished by the lack of attention to their customers (part of me jokes that of course we are cyber secure, if we have no firewall we have are secure!).  I say used to be, unless Sophos pull something out of the hat soon they will loose a considerable portion of their market place.

XG & UTM Architect (Systems: XG v18 & UTM 9.7 - Virtual, HW & SW)
    Curious enough to take it apart, skilled enough to put it back together, Clever enough to hide the extra parts when I'm Done!

Children
  • Seems there is something seriously broken in 9.703.

I have to go down to MTU=1320 at several sites since we updated to that version there to reach resources outside the LAN.

This happens with SG210, SG230, SG135w, SG115w, SG105 and a software appliance as well.

Since the rest of the equipment in the networks didn't  change, I suspect something is wrong with MSS and / or MTU handling.

Maybe I can do a test with a mangle rule?

Mit freundlichem Gruß, best regards from Germany,

Philipp Rusch

New Vision GmbH, Germany
    Sophos Silver-Partner

If a post solves your question please use the 'Verify Answer' button.