This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

L2TP/IPSec VPN Connection Error UTM9

I have several users set up to use SSL VPN, which works great.

I am playing with the native Win 10 VPN because I would like to implement VPN before logon for several users.

I have the L2TP/IPSEC VPN profile set up in the UTM and I'm testing with 1 user - authenticating locally.

On the Win 10 machine I'm gettng an error that the network connection between the computer and the VPN server was interrupted.   This can be caused by a problem in the VPN transmission and is commonly the result of latency, etc. etc.

Internet speeds on either end are not an issue.  

I am watching the firewall logs and, despite this user being included in the automatic firewall log that was created by the SSL VPN setup, I can see packets from his IP on 443 and 1723 being dropped.  

I've read a bunch of stuff on how to set this type of VPN up, but am stumped.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Deb,

I'm confused about why you would mention blocks of 443 (SSL VPN?) and 1723 (PPTP?) in a question about L2TP/IPsec.  Is the client PC on a local subnet, or is it behind a remote router or ???

Do you see anything relevant in the Intrusion Prevention log? In the IPsec log?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hey, Bob.  Thanks so much for your reply!

Client is at his house trying to connect back to the office.

I mentioned seeing packets trying to get to port 443 and 1723 because I was seeing them when he tried to connect using the Windows VPN client and I wasn't sure if it was relevant info.

I've read and re-read the Sophos instructions on how to set up a L2TP/IPSec connection, but for whatever reason I cannot get it to work with the Windows VPN client.

I did not look at the Intrusion Prevention log.  I did look at the L2TP log and can see the request coming into the firewall.  

• Hey, Bob.  Thanks so much for your reply!

Client is at his house trying to connect back to the office.

I mentioned seeing packets trying to get to port 443 and 1723 because I was seeing them when he tried to connect using the Windows VPN client and I wasn't sure if it was relevant info.

I've read and re-read the Sophos instructions on how to set up a L2TP/IPSec connection, but for whatever reason I cannot get it to work with the Windows VPN client.

I did not look at the Intrusion Prevention log.  I did look at the L2TP log and can see the request coming into the firewall.  

Children