L2TP/IPSec VPN Connection Error UTM9

I have several users set up to use SSL VPN, which works great.

I am playing with the native Win 10 VPN because I would like to implement VPN before logon for several users.

I have the L2TP/IPSEC VPN profile set up in the UTM and I'm testing with 1 user - authenticating locally.

On the Win 10 machine I'm gettng an error that the network connection between the computer and the VPN server was interrupted.   This can be caused by a problem in the VPN transmission and is commonly the result of latency, etc. etc.

Internet speeds on either end are not an issue.  

I am watching the firewall logs and, despite this user being included in the automatic firewall log that was created by the SSL VPN setup, I can see packets from his IP on 443 and 1723 being dropped.  

I've read a bunch of stuff on how to set this type of VPN up, but am stumped.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

• Hi Deb,

I'm confused about why you would mention blocks of 443 (SSL VPN?) and 1723 (PPTP?) in a question about L2TP/IPsec.  Is the client PC on a local subnet, or is it behind a remote router or ???

Do you see anything relevant in the Intrusion Prevention log? In the IPsec log?

Cheers - Bob

• In reply to BAlfson:

Hey, Bob.  Thanks so much for your reply!

Client is at his house trying to connect back to the office.

I mentioned seeing packets trying to get to port 443 and 1723 because I was seeing them when he tried to connect using the Windows VPN client and I wasn't sure if it was relevant info.

I've read and re-read the Sophos instructions on how to set up a L2TP/IPSec connection, but for whatever reason I cannot get it to work with the Windows VPN client.

I did not look at the Intrusion Prevention log.  I did look at the L2TP log and can see the request coming into the firewall.  

• In reply to Deb Smith1:

Crazy times!  Did this get resolved, Deb?

Cheers - Bob