This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM running as a VM, swapped out a NIC, now can't access webadmin

So, my VMware server shut down.  It wouldn't turn back on, but long story short, the multi-interface NIC I was using stopped working, forcing me to swap it out for another.

I had to reconfigure the VMs to utilize the new NIC.  The other two VMs have no issue, but my UTM VM does.  

I cant access webadmin.   The local address I used to manage the UTM through webadmin ended in .223, but now the console says to connect on the .202 address, which I have no clue how it got.  (VMware shows the UTM to have both the .223 and .202 addresses.) However, I can't connect to the .202 address using h***s://x.x.x.202:4444, i can't ping the address, nor can I access it using SSH (nor can I to the .223 address).

I'm at a complete loss as to what to do.

Is there any way to break the boot up sequence to fix the configuration?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • So, I managed to access the system using the console (esc, edit init=/bin/bash).

It appears that the UTM has no interfaces (other than the loopback). When I run lspci I see two Ethernet Controllers (VMXNET3).

I guess the question is how to add them.  I'll admit, my linux knowledge is limited, so I followed some tutorial about adding them to /etc/networks and rebooting (didn't know how to restart the services), but that didn't solve the problem.

• So, I managed to access the system using the console (esc, edit init=/bin/bash).

It appears that the UTM has no interfaces (other than the loopback). When I run lspci I see two Ethernet Controllers (VMXNET3).

I guess the question is how to add them.  I'll admit, my linux knowledge is limited, so I followed some tutorial about adding them to /etc/networks and rebooting (didn't know how to restart the services), but that didn't solve the problem.

Children
  • I wonder if just editing and saving your VM might not fix this issue.  If not, ...

Is the subnet from which you are accessing in one of the networks listed by cc get WebAdmin allowed_networks?  If you want more detail about a network 'REF_NetIntInterNetwo', try cc get_object 'REF_NetIntInterNetwo'.

If that shows you that "Internal (Network)" is the name of the network, try cc get_object_by_name interface ethernet 'Internal'.  Assuming the value of 'itfhw' is REF_IntEth?????, show us what you get with cc get_object REF_IntEth?????.

Also, show us: cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Thank you for the response!  Sorry for the delay.  I was traveling for a couple of weeks.

I'll give your suggestions a try and see what happens.

----

So, cc doesn't work.  As for cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules , this is the result:

• You have to be logged in as root to be able to use cc.

Are you using VMXNET3 NICs for the VM hosting UTM?  There are known problems with the others.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hello,

I am logged in as root though.  I am using VMXNET3.

• after scouring a while, I found something.

modprobe vmxnet3 seems to install the drivers, so that they're recognized when I do ifconfig -a.  this hasn't solved the problem, unfortunately.  there are two issues.  first, when I reboot, I lose the interfaces, forcing me to run the command again.  second, while I can bring the interface up, assign it an IP address, and ping it, I cannot access webadmin.  I get the following error:

• nothing should be this complicated to get working.  i restarted httpd, and I got webadmin to load but not without issues.  i'm getting the backend problem when the page loads.  I refreshed.  i restarted httpd several times.  I also tried different browsers.

• You have to run the commands I list above as root on the command line of the UTM, not in VMware.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hello Bob,

I am running them on the UTM, not the VMWare box.

Just to recap.  I was able to access the UTM by editing the way it booted.  So, while this is a virtual machine, I am not doing anything with VMware.  I am using VMware to access the console - interrupt the boot process the access the console using the method outline here:

https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/115346

So, unless I'm not understanding what you're asking, none of the output here is from the ESXi box itself.  It's all from the SophosUTM virtual machine.

Unless you have another method for me to access the SophosUTM VM, given that it will not recognize and use the ethernet interfaces, this is the only way I know how to do it.

• Don't interrupt the boot process.  Wait until that's finished and then login on the console as root.  Or won't the boot process complete?

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA