This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

secondary wan unable to access router config page

I have setup a secondary wan interface on my UTM box to act as a backup in case my internet connection goes down.

this connection is provided by a 4g router which is plugged in to a Ethernet interface on the UTM the router has been configured to use a /29 network with theUTM having a static ip from that range.

if i try to access the routers config pages from a device on my internal network i get an error from the UTM saying "the requested url could not be retrieved" and "the connection timed out".

the UTM is also unable to ping the router using the support > tools page and none of the devices on the internal network can ping the router, but they can ping the interface on the UTM which the router is connected to. 

the dashboard on the utm shows the state is up but the link displays error, i have followed guides on this forum that say to disable the automatic monitoring which i have done and i have added the google dns 8.8.4.4 as the monitoring hosts however the link still displays error.

if i connect directly to the router using an ethernet cable i am able to access the config pages and the router shows the IP of the UTM as a connected client.

can any one suggest anything i am missing or have done wrong?

i have attached some images but if you need any others let me know

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • The router is configured to use 10.0.99.1/29? You are able to ping UTM from router?

Try to connect a PC / Notebook directly to UTM-Port (like 4G-Router).

You are able to ping/access the device from UTM? Is the device able to ping UTM?

Possible port/cable may be deffect.

Possible is hard-coded Port-speed too.

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner
    Sophos Solution Partner since 2003
    If a post solves your question, click the 'Verify Answer' link at this post.

• "... i get an error from the UTM saying "the requested url could not be retrieved" and "the connection timed out"."

Please show us pictures of those messages, Chris.  Also, a picture of the 'Ping Settings' on the 'ICMP' tab of 'Firewall'.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • both messages are displayed on the same page in the browser as above

the ping settings are below

• i have tried connecting a device to the 4g router and it can ping the UTM however i can ping anything other than the UTM (devices on internal network) 

if i attach a laptop to the UTM directly it responds to a ping and is reachable using the same cable so i guess that rules out a faulty port or cable.

i had already tried changing the port speed in the interface settings as mention in another forum post i read, but again that didnt work.

• Have you done #1 in Rulz (last updated 2019-04-17) and also checked the Web Filtering log?  When you disable your primary WAN connection, are you able to reach the outside world from a device on your LAN?  Do you have a masq rule on the 4G interface?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • when i disable the primary connection the router is not accessible however the router does provide an internet connection, and i have checked both sets of logs and i can see anything, i have connected a laptop the wifi vlan that bypasses the filtering and it still wont let me access the router the only way I can is by connecting it directly to one of the ports on the router itself