This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SG135 C2000 BUG

Hello, I recently bought a used SG135 rev.1 which has AVR54 bug (I found out about this bug after I buy it).

For others vendors I found a possible fix, but not for Sophos.

There are two (as far as I know) fixes:

1. Replace a atom c2xxx with C0 revision

2. external pull-up resistor (18.2k to 10k), from LPC_CLKOUT0 or LPC_CLKOUT1, tied to 3.3V

Did someone tried to fix this bug? (I use home license, so I don't have any agreement with Sophos).

Best regards,

Robert

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello, 

i found this 150 Ohm Resistor in a refurbished SG125.

;)

With that Fix i brought my broken SG125 back to Life 

Cheers 

Daniel 

• Confirm! Work on a bricked SG135 Rev.2! Used a 250 Ohm, now it is back to life!

Thanks for sharing guys! Great job!

• Hey Paul,

Easiest solution is to install the Software version of XG on it.

I have had the same error on my SG135 v2 and ended up installing the SW Firmware with a home licence and it is been working fine.

Give it a try and let us know.

Cheers,

Marcelo Clare

• Did you try to take out battery for a couple of minutes?

Do you have a file asg in folder /etc ?? Sorry didn't see that you try to install XG. For SG this file is needed on hardware appliance with non home license. 

• Hi Marcelo,

confirm, SW version of XG works perfect on the SG135 Rev 2 with lost DMI data. In that case you don't even have to modify ASG file and other tricks to get the Home License running on the appliance.

Only thing that's annoying is, that the system FAN is running at full speed all the time. I think it is also related to missing OEM data in the DMI area.

I would like to give it a try to fill them with a tool similar to dmiedit or so, but I need a template for it, in order to know how the data looks in an appliance that has the data filled.

Cheers,

Paul

• Hi Robert,

removing the battery doesn't help in that case. 

Regarding asg filke in /etc: I've also read about it and that why this was also my first thought. But if you have an empty disk there is no file available to check.

Instead from what I've seen during installation there is some hw-detect script checking DMI data. It looks like it compares it to a predefined list and if a specific amount of matching data is found it accepts it as an appliance. Again this is not sure, but after checking the logfiles of the installer and digging in the filesystem of the ISO this is what I expect.

Thank and regards,

Paul 

• Hey Paul,

can you issue the command biosdecode instead of dmidecode once? Just to verify it can read the bios informations. I have checked my BIOS today in the morning on my SG125, unfortunately it doesnt show any hints regarding Fan Speed or CPU Temp. BUT, you can try to reset all BIOS settings once you get into the BIOS (DEL or ESC works), it may bring back the dmi data. Will check it further today once i get home. I also digged around, couldnt find any information how to write date into dmi. However, ill try to assist as much as you guys need since i can dig around on my hardware now.

Just for all others here to know, 150 Ohm resistor worked well for my SG125 and its back to life, thanks to you guys and your awesome findings. In the morning i started to clone the drive as the old one has some klicking now and then. Once this is done i can offer some assistance for the linux part

• Any one mind sharing what size resistor they used? I'm going to order a 150ohm, but dont know what size would work best. 0805?

• Hi,

0805 works good,  1206 is WAY to big....  but keep in mind that you have to be extremely careful to solder it in, since it dos not fit very well and the solder paste does not hold the resistor very well in place. 

I think my reboot problem caused by left flux and maybe single solder paste partikles, which could not be seen with bare eye.... after again cleaning all leftovers thouroughly my box reboots again just, fine, I think....

Cheers,

Harald

P.S.: Don't even think about using a trough-hole resistor.... the PCB of the device is so bad quality , you will imediatly lift the soldering pads up and destroy the board, even if you a careful. seldomly seen such a bad PCB....

• Hi i soldered the resistor in and it works perfectly, bringing my SG135 back to life. I used the 0603 because i found the 08 bit to big to fit the gap nicely. 

The only funny thing i saw afterwards is the Hardware site on the Bios Displays bullshit. Voltages are Doubled and so on. Can anybody confirm or does my box have any other issue? 

• This is because of the DMI Data which is fetched, but due to the pull up resistor now calculated wrong. Due to this, it is impossible to use the SG125/135 as a hardaware appliance anymore.

So as stated before (page 3 last reply) already, the resistor fix is not a fix, it is just a workaound to bring the device back up to life.

For Synology there were 100 ohm resistors used, im not experienced but myabe a shot worth for someone ... se if the device boots and DMI Data is correct

• Okay Perfect. 

I can totally live with the fact that its only working for home use. 

Reply Children
No Data