This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to deploy a Sophos UTM (or XG) and DNS-over-HTTPs on one device

Hi folks,

sorry for my english but I hope you will understand what I want to tell you... ;)

If you've been dismayed that sophos doesn't allow you to use DNS-over-HTTPS, you've come to the right place. I was similar, but I didn't want to use another firewall solution like pfsense which would give you that by its own, so I want to find a way to continue using Sophos, but with the possibility of a DNS-over-HTTPS solution - but not another physical appliance in my network and rack.

So I decided to use an unused SG210 Aplliance and I replaced the original CPU from there with a i5-4570S from my primary firewall (SG330 which was replaced with a Xeon e3-1230v3), also the memory was upgraded from 8 GB up to 12 GB.

On this SG210 I have installed a Xen Hypervisor Server then - one NIC for management to administrate it on my PC with XenCenter.

Further I installed one VM for Sophos UTM (4 cores, 8GB RAM, 40GB vhd and 5 vNICs (directly connected to 5 physical ports)).

The next step was to install a second VM with a Ubuntu Server (2 cores, 2GB RAM, 10GB vhd and 1 vNIC which is virtually connected to the physically LAN Port0 for "internal" traffic - it would also be possible to add multiple Ports to that appliance to serve further networks attached and placed on sophos utm).

This Linux VM was configured as PiHole DNS and also installed the cloudflared DNS Proxy plugin (https://docs.pi-hole.net/guides/dns-over-https/) and configured all like described in the link and docs attached.

On the Sophos UTM I configured a DNS forwarder and added a DNS Group for this; primary the PiHole and then Cloudflare public DNS - if the pihole would not be reachable.

So I have the Sophos as DNS via DHCP for internal traffic and for external it will be forwarded to the PiHole Cloudflares...

The Xen Server was configured to autostart the VMs on reboot or failure.

At the moment I have attached four VMs to the sophos which are running on my PC here also one WLAN AccessPoint. To surf with my mobile phone and tablet.

All works fine and quick - internal and external. Fast response and full ISP Througput / bandwidth with all acitivated features like web filter, av proxy, IPS ... the CPU usage then is about 20%.

Please don't tear up the concept as such - it should only be a rough guide and a possibility test. Details can certainly be better implemented or optimized - my first concern here was whether a Xen Server is executable on the SG and how the whole thing behaves in practice in terms of stability and performance or functionality.

So what I also want to say is that you can use smaller devices like all the chinese aplliances which are placed in your living rooms - the totally silence boxes ;)

I think 4GB for sophos utm, 1GB for PiHole and 1-2GB for Xen would be enpough - so an ammount of 8GB for the physical "Xen Appliance" would be enough.

4186.Ubuntu PiHole DNS over HTTPS Installation.pdf

2350.XenServer AutoStart VMs.pdf

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • so .. you figured out Virtualization and found PiHole?

there are also other ways, proxmox, using a raspberry pi (i wouldn't do that, but than wouldn't use a utm box for this either)

Virtualization of a firewall is a very touchy subject from a security perspective and is generally frowned upon.

---

Sophos UTM 9.3 Certified Engineer

• Maybe you can imagine that this special solution and variant of it aims at private usage and not for a datacentre or commercial usage?

Why I was using and trying Xen? Because (long before I figured out virtualization) I used that in a datacentre environment in HA clusters, also VMware and HyperV....so thanks for your heeded opinion and criticism.

You can use what you want or think to virtualize. Proxmox would be also a nice option.

The point of the thread what I want to show was: how you can easy deploy a firewall AND pihole on one device....because not everybody here is v!rtu4L1s0r_pRo ;o) and for some people is another device in the network not that what they prefer. Many of them are using harware which performance would allow virtualization.

And finally some (private) people aren't that security paranoid - so I think the usage of a virtualized firewall at home would be less insecure and risky than you want to make fear.