This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Allowing Broadcast (either LAN or Global)

I have an SG135 that I would like to allow Broadcast for certain devices.

how do I accomplish this?

I have tried

Source Devices -> Any Service -> Broadcast Address (255.255.255.255/255.255.255.255 or a.b.c.255)

neither have worked as I still see broadcast traffic is being dropped.

I do realize that the UTM is meant to drop broadcast traffic, but I have read about ways to allow this traffic.

Any help appreciated.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I always thought that a broadcast went to very IP in the sender's subnet and that the UTM just dropped the packet sent to it.  Isn't that what's happening?

Cheers - Bob 

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

yep, you're right.

I can get the LAN Broadcast to be allowed but am unable to find a way to get the Global Broadcast to be allowed inside the UTM.

well that's not entirely true, there are 5 Global Broadcasts being transmitted, only one is allowed (e.g. it is going green) the other five are dropped automatically.

** I may need to learn about global broadcasts, as I think I am missing something obvious to do with global broadcasting.

thanks for you response

XG & UTM Architect (Systems: XG v18 & UTM 9.7 - Virtual, HW & SW)
    Curious enough to take it apart, skilled enough to put it back together, Clever enough to hide the extra parts when I'm Done!

• I'm not sure where these broadcasts are coming from or what "going green" means, but does How to fix the global broadcast address (255.255.255.255) behavior on Windows help?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

apologies I didn't explain myself, the 'going green' is the firewall live log, and when a packet is applied an allow rule it goes green ... see image

and the article you reference is for windows but this app is on Linux (unfortunately it is a global broadcast, i think due the the developers). I have since got around it (global broadcast) by placing a switch in between the server and the UTM.

on a side note, the image above is the same source (server IP) and destination (255.255.255.255) for all three but only one has the rule applied, this is where I said I need to understand the Global Broadcast.

XG & UTM Architect (Systems: XG v18 & UTM 9.7 - Virtual, HW & SW)
    Curious enough to take it apart, skilled enough to put it back together, Clever enough to hide the extra parts when I'm Done!