This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Very bad WLAN performance

I have Sophos UTM and two AP15 access points.

The best I am able to achieve are some 100mbit or less. Nowhere near 300mbit I should be getting. Measured on a Win10 copying big file over SMB.

I have a single SSID/Network, and as far as I can say everything set up standard.

Ethernet connection is at full speed.  UTM is latest update.

Am I missing something?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • What speed do you see when using robocopy from the Win 10 command line?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Around 45mbit. About same thing when I copy in the explorer, 5-6MB/s.

In the Firewall I still see 144Mbit (last transfer speed, which is wrong).

And in Windows, Wi-Fi Status, Speed: going from 85 and 130 Mbit, up and down. (however, I am not transferring anything, not sure if this should read 0 when not doing anything, like task manager does)

Signal Quality: full.

Access Point is about 3m away.

• Are you sure that that traffic isn't being slowed by Intrusion Prevention?

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Turned off IPS, and all the options under other tabs, same result.

• What if you try connecting the AP to a different NIC?  Make & model of NICs?

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • That values sounds for a n connection reasonable. A good read to phy (connection rate) vs. real transfer rate (data throughput)

5-6 MB/s is a good value for a realworld n connection.

WIFI is a) a halfduplex connection and b) over a shared media (air) with c) depending on mcs and error correction noteworthy overhead.

Over the day throughput may be even lower, at 3 a.m. when air is really quiet it might go up to 8..10 MBytes/s in best case.

Remember the old 10 HDX coax cabling? The more clients were talking, the slower single client throughput became....*sigh*, good old times ;o) Shared media access...

• That values sounds for a n connection reasonable. A good read to phy (connection rate) vs. real transfer rate (data throughput)

5-6 MB/s is a good value for a realworld n connection.

WIFI is a) a halfduplex connection and b) over a shared media (air) with c) depending on mcs and error correction noteworthy overhead.

Over the day throughput may be even lower, at 3 a.m. when air is really quiet it might go up to 8..10 MBytes/s in best case.

Remember the old 10 HDX coax cabling? The more clients were talking, the slower single client throughput became....*sigh*, good old times ;o) Shared media access...

Children
No Data