This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM Smart Installer: No devices with a CD-ROM partition were found!

Hi,

i bought a new Sophos UTM Smart Installer through my distributor. When I try to "burn" the ISO Image i have downloaded as described in this KBA https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/121767 i am running into an error: "No devices with a CD-ROM partition were found!". To demonstrate the Problem i attached a gif record.

That's odd, since the CD-ROM partition is definetly there. Does anybody have an idea what the problem could be?

Version: UTM Smart Installer 2.2.0

Windows 10 Pro x64

Thanks in advance and greetings :)

Christian

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hallo Christian and welcome to the UTM Community!

Are you sure you had the correct USB stick inserted?  If so, then I think you got a dud and that Sophos needs to replace it.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Tried running it as an administrator?

• Hi, same problem here, brand new susi stick. Any news?

• Hallo Joerg,

Not sure what a susi stick is, Joerg - do you mean a UTM Smart Installer stick from Sophos?  If the stick isn't dead, then I suspect Jay's suggestion would make it accept an ISO.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

sorry ;-) susi = sophos utm smart installer

I already tried with run as admin but still no luck, tried with a win10 system latest patches and with a win8.1 system latest patches. 

Any further ideas?

Thanks

Joerg

• I bet Sophos Support would tell you to RMA it, Joerg - neh?

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Christian,

If the Smart Installer you have is a rugged silver/grey 8GB USB 3.0 stick, oh boy do i have a good story which i won't go into.

If it is the above and not the white 2GB USB 2.0 rev. 3 then you have the all new Rev. 4!

Basically, someone in acquisitions bought the new sticks and put them into circulation before development had been done for the susi software to be compatible. The discovery for the manpower needed to do the development was only done a few weeks ago and they found some difficulties so it will be a little while longer before it is fully compatible.

For now, you can just burn the stick using something like rufus and just build it as a normal usb dvd boot drive as the cd partition still will act like one.

Except you lose pretty much everything smart about the "smart" installer.

I do not have a further update from the PM yet about the status of the development.

Emile

• Oh no. I suspected somethig like this......because the thing is brand new and seems absolutely ok. So the rufus thing will work with the ssi iso?

Thanks

Joerg

• Hi Joerg,

I believe that was the one discussed and the ssi iso will be fine, but i also cannot find any KB articles from the DCO team yet on the matter which they said they'd have out soon (a month ago).

Unfortunately, RMA won't help because they have no Rev 3s in EMEA and a very interesting phone call confirmed this. Basically, someone raided the Karlsruhe office desks in the end but i think i got our customer the last 2.

I'll pop an email asking where the KB is and will provide a link if i get one.

Emile

• OK thanks Emile, highly appreciated. 

Joerg