This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM Smart Installer: No devices with a CD-ROM partition were found!

Hi,

i bought a new Sophos UTM Smart Installer through my distributor. When I try to "burn" the ISO Image i have downloaded as described in this KBA https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/121767 i am running into an error: "No devices with a CD-ROM partition were found!". To demonstrate the Problem i attached a gif record.

That's odd, since the CD-ROM partition is definetly there. Does anybody have an idea what the problem could be?

Version: UTM Smart Installer 2.2.0

Windows 10 Pro x64

Thanks in advance and greetings :)

Christian

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Christian,

If the Smart Installer you have is a rugged silver/grey 8GB USB 3.0 stick, oh boy do i have a good story which i won't go into.

If it is the above and not the white 2GB USB 2.0 rev. 3 then you have the all new Rev. 4!

Basically, someone in acquisitions bought the new sticks and put them into circulation before development had been done for the susi software to be compatible. The discovery for the manpower needed to do the development was only done a few weeks ago and they found some difficulties so it will be a little while longer before it is fully compatible.

For now, you can just burn the stick using something like rufus and just build it as a normal usb dvd boot drive as the cd partition still will act like one.

Except you lose pretty much everything smart about the "smart" installer.

I do not have a further update from the PM yet about the status of the development.

Emile

• Oh no. I suspected somethig like this......because the thing is brand new and seems absolutely ok. So the rufus thing will work with the ssi iso?

Thanks

Joerg

• Hi Joerg,

I believe that was the one discussed and the ssi iso will be fine, but i also cannot find any KB articles from the DCO team yet on the matter which they said they'd have out soon (a month ago).

Unfortunately, RMA won't help because they have no Rev 3s in EMEA and a very interesting phone call confirmed this. Basically, someone raided the Karlsruhe office desks in the end but i think i got our customer the last 2.

I'll pop an email asking where the KB is and will provide a link if i get one.

Emile

• OK thanks Emile, highly appreciated. 

Joerg

• Hi,

thank you all for the replies. Sorry for not responding anymore after my first post. Did not have the time to further go into this. I am glad I did not RMA this stick, since I guess I also have the "new" Rev.4 Version:

Unknown said:

For now, you can just burn the stick using something like rufus and just build it as a normal usb dvd boot drive as the cd partition still will act like one.

So, the CD partition will stay on the stick, even if I burn it with rufus (what usually includes a full format). Is it possible to recover the "SUSI" functionality afterwards, when it's finally supported?

Thank you for pulling this up :)

• Hi,

thank you all for the replies. Sorry for not responding anymore after my first post. Did not have the time to further go into this. I am glad I did not RMA this stick, since I guess I also have the "new" Rev.4 Version:

Unknown said:

So, the CD partition will stay on the stick, even if I burn it with rufus (what usually includes a full format). Is it possible to recover the "SUSI" functionality afterwards, when it's finally supported?

Thank you for pulling this up :)

Children
  • Pleasure ;-)

Now a question to all: If I just use Rufus to create it I could then again take a standard usb stick instead of the susi one, right? Or is the susi stick somehow recognized as cdrom anyways and the Rufus thing in combination with the susi stick works better? Can anyone comment?

Thanks

Joerg

• Hi Schatten,

I'm confident that it should be ok but it will just be like a normal USB install but as it presents as a USB CD/DVD drive you shouldn't have to do the install mnt trick when using a USB install builder.

However, I have just sent a chase to the team responsible for the SUSI compatibility and checked in one of the guys about the KB about the workaround so you have an "official" method because I initially rejected the method. This is because for our Customer they are sending the USB sticks to places in the world where the technical capability of the users there extends to "where's the power button" so anything more than plugging the cables in with a USB stick is a bit beyond their capability.

I'll try and get this as soon as they will reply. The gent in charge of the team for the SUSI is off till the 1st so an update for that may not be till next week.

And to confirm, you definitely have a Rev. 4 there :)

Emile

• Hi  

Thank you for notifying this.

We have started the process to update our KB mentioned above and we are looking into this.

Regards,

Jasmin
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Support

Sophos Support VideosKnowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts |
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link

• In the meantime, simply use a own USB Stick and quickly reimage the appliance.

https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/115879

I know, not the best solution but as a workaround, this works fine. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• Hi Guys,

is there an update for this topic ?

Does that mean that currently all SUSIS sticks with Rev 4 are not functional ?

Kind Regards,

Max

• Currently still under investigation. 

As said, simply use a own Stick and reimage the Appliance with your own Stick will help to get a working stick. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• How would I use a normal Stick to reimage the Appliance? The posted link in your answer is about using a usb cd drive.

Do you mean the workaround, which you have to mount the install folder by hand? 

Kind of sad, that about 4 months AFTER posting this thread, there is still no solution to use the recent version of SUSI Installer Stick. I am wondering if the stick was ever tested before Release.