This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Firmware Question

Hi all,

At Management|Up2date, it shows "Current firmware version: 9.311-3. Your firmware is up to date."

When I go to "ftp://ftp.astaro.com/pub/UTM/v9/up2date/", I see a "u2d-sys-9.600005-601005.tgz.gpg" file. 

I have already clicked the "Check for Up2Date packages now" button and upload the "u2d-sys-9.600005-601005.tgz.gpg" file manually , but the version hasn't changed.

Doesn't my firewall's firmware is really up to date?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Short answer, no you're not up-to-date.

You can try downloading ftp://ftp.astaro.com/pub/UTM/v9/up2date/u2d-sys-9.311003-312008.tgz.gpg this update file manually and upload it manually in your webadmin. It's the update from 9.311-3 to 9.312-8.

Problem is tough, that there are many steps in between your current version and 9.601-5. Did you perhaps just install the system or do you have any firewalls in front of the UTM that might block it's own check for update feature?

You could also make a backup of your config, download the latest ISO, install that (it's an install from scratch) and then recover from your backup to have the config back. But there might be other ways to try first. Maybe even just try rebooting the firewall and see if that brings a change.....

Managing several Sophos firewalls both at work and at some home locations, dedicated to continuously improve IT-security and feeling well helping others with their IT-security challenges.

• Hi ,

I upload the firmware and reboot but it likes not work. Even it says "Up2Date package imported successfully", the dashboard still shows Version 9.311-3

About the firewall, I just click the "check for up2data packages now" and "update patterns now" button on every day after setup at webadmin.

***UPDATE PROGRESS***

I found a new problems:

I see a other discuss in community.sophos.com. I use the putty and check path var/up2date/sys. I find that all firmware are here, just the firewall haven't install.

If I change to auto-update, it notices new firmware detected. But it does not install.

Does the firmware will install after reboot?

• Hi Perry,

there is no auto-update mechanism in the UTM.

The option is only for downloading the files.

You have to trigger the update by yourself with direct install or schedule the latest version to install all the updates.

Best Regards
    DKKDG

• Hi DKKDG,

Could you please teach me how to install the update at WebAdmin? or it must manually uses auisys.plx ?

Thanks a lot!

Reply Children
  • Hi Perry,

no shell access needed.

Just navigate to the following point in the webadmin

Best Regards
    DKKDG

• Click on the red line which says 38 Updates...

Then click on update now. You will master this, I think.

Best regards

-

• Hi DKKDG,

I haven't this OPTION on WebAdmin.

Following are our screen capture:

Also, it reduced to 16 updates only. I run auisys.plx 3 times and it starts the installation and stops at version 9.404-3!

• Hi Alexander,

After click the RED TEXT, it haven't the install button!

• Try deleting all the currently downloaded update files and see if after that it's possible to update.

1. Enable UTM SSH access in Management -> System Settings -> Shell Access. 
    2. Connect to UTM using PUTTY. First login as loginuser, and then type su - command and enter root password.
    3. Go to /var/up2date/sys folder by entering cd /var/up2date/sys. Remove everything with rm * command.
    4. Run auisys.plx.
    5. Check again in webadmin for status

Managing several Sophos firewalls both at work and at some home locations, dedicated to continuously improve IT-security and feeling well helping others with their IT-security challenges.

• Hi ,

So complex!

Dashboard keeps to show "16 Update(s) available for download", even after I delete sys folder's file. After waiting for 20 mins, nothing has been changed. 

At this moment, I use Putty and check sys folder. It is empty. 

I turn it to manual and click the update button. I find that the sys folder is starting download the firmware file.

But both of time , the dashboard (Version Dialog) hasn't anything changed except the last check.

I try to runing "auisys.plx --rpmargs –force --verbose" install the firmware. it shows following ERROR.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

auisys.plx --rpmargs –force --verbose
    'verbose' mode implicits set noqueue option!
    no HA system or cluster node
    waiting for db_verify to return (30 seconds max)
    removing '/var/up2date/aptp-install'
    removed directory: `/var/up2date/aptp-install'
    removing '/var/up2date/cadata-install'
    removed directory: `/var/up2date/cadata-install'
    removing '/var/up2date/geoip-install'
    removed directory: `/var/up2date/geoip-install'
    removing '/var/up2date/ipsbundle-install'
    removed directory: `/var/up2date/ipsbundle-install'
    removing '/var/up2date/man9-install'
    removed directory: `/var/up2date/man9-install'
    removing '/var/up2date/ohelp9-install'
    removed directory: `/var/up2date/ohelp9-install'
    removing '/var/up2date/savi-install'
    removed directory: `/var/up2date/savi-install'
    removing '/var/up2date/sys-install'
    removed directory: `/var/up2date/sys-install'
    Starting Up2Date Package Installer
    No suitable packages of type <man9> found, skipping
    No suitable packages of type <ohelp9> found, skipping
    No suitable packages of type <aptp> found, skipping
    No suitable packages of type <cadata> found, skipping
    No suitable packages of type <geoip> found, skipping
    No suitable packages of type <ipsbundle> found, skipping
    No suitable packages of type <savi> found, skipping
    Install u2d packages <sys>
    Starting installing up2date packages for type 'sys'
    Installing up2date package: /var/up2date/sys/u2d-sys-9.406003-407003.tgz.gpg
    Verifying up2date package signature
    Up2Date failed: Not enough free space for '/var/up2date/sys-install'. Required space: 337182 KB Available space: 315100 KB; inodes: 306976
    A serious error occured during installation! (20)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Not enough space! (>_<)

• Not enough space.... probably one of the partitions of your drive is (about) full preventing installation.

In shell you can give the df command to see how much diskfree space there is on every partition. Please list that here.

• Hi apijnappels ,

Following is the data:

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda6 5412452 3107240 2007232 61% /
    udev 6101652 120 6101532 1% /dev
    tmpfs 6101652 0 6101652 0% /dev/shm
    /dev/sda1 338875 15621 301238 5% /boot
    /dev/sda5 64464524 12175444 48827348 20% /var/storage
    /dev/sda7 84496620 3424072 76542272 5% /var/log
    /dev/sda8 3650608 8364 3437088 1% /tmp
    tmpfs 6101652 0 6101652 0% /var/sec/chroot-httpd/dev/shm
    tmpfs 6101652 0 6101652 0% /var/storage/chroot-reverseproxy/dev/shm
    tmpfs 6101652 64 6101588 1% /var/storage/chroot-smtp/tmp/ram
    tmpfs 6101652 0 6101652 0% /var/storage/chroot-http/tmp

• Could you give the following command please, it will give the exact information on the mountpoint and it's free space from the /var/up2date/sys-install folder:

df -h -P /var/up2date/sys-install/

• What also may help is to stop automatic downloading of firmware files, clean folder again and then manually download a couple of update files (of course going from your current fw to the next, and the next and the next) from ftp-site and apply those. That way not all space for all update files is being used and only a couple of these are there. Because you only have a small amount of space too less, that might just do the trick.

So manually download and apply 3 or 4 updates and then have the UTM check for updates again by itself where it will then find the remaining updatefiles. With a little luck that will leave enough space to get the rest going in one go using webadmin.

Otherwise you need to find out how to free up space from your partition or start over from scratch (do not forget to first make a backup that can be read back after reapplying a new install from ISO).

If you start over from ISO you will loose a lot (if not all) logs.