This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to speed up the download speed

Hi, 

Today, I have a Test. I download a 1G file from Google Drive. I found that the download speed is around 2xx-3xxkb/s. If I download the file w/o through the firewall, the speed will jump to 1M to 2M /s. 

I don't know this download speed 2xx-3xxkb/s is correct or it can be improved. 

Please Help!

Thanks!

**I haven't set any Qos.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • you should reach almost the available bandwidth with firewall too.

at the dashboard check current CPU and used bandwidth at the external interface.

Try to upload a file ... which download speed do you get

because i see 1/10 of availeble bandwith i think a duplex error is possible.

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner
    Sophos Solution Partner since 2003
    If a post solves your question, click the 'Verify Answer' link at this post.

• Following is the capture Screen

** Remark : ISP provided the internet speed is 1000M.

Does the drop speed relate to the antivirus Scanning? If yes, how can I disable the antivirus Scanning?

• You have a 1000MBit (1GBit) NIC  speed or you should reach 1GBit up-/download speed?

AV / IPS may reduce the throughput ... but not so much.

one moment later ... OK, you wrote "If I download the file w/o through the firewall, the speed will jump to 1M to 2M /s. "

So you can't use an 1GB Up-/Down-link

But at your pictures i see 1-2,5 MBit interface load too ... the same as expected

Try to download these file with and W/O Firewall:

http://ftp.astaro.com/UTM/v9/up2date/u2d-sys-9.510005-600005.tgz.gpg

which speed do you reach?

Dirk

Systema Gesellschaft für angewandte Datentechnik mbH  // Sophos Platinum Partner

• Yes, ISP provide 1G speed.

When download a file , it will not use all resource. Otherwise the network system will lag.

Today, I download the same file from DMZ. The speed is around 1 to 2M download speed.

About the u2d-sys-9.510005-600005.tgz.gpg file testing, I will try on Monday(HONG KONG Time).

Thanks!

• dirkkotte said:

You have a 1000MBit (1GBit) NIC  speed or you should reach 1GBit up-/download speed?

AV / IPS may reduce the throughput ... but not so much.

one moment later ... OK, you wrote "If I download the file w/o through the firewall, the speed will jump to 1M to 2M /s. "

So you can't use an 1GB Up-/Down-link

But at your pictures i see 1-2,5 MBit interface load too ... the same as expected

Try to download these file with and W/O Firewall:

http://ftp.astaro.com/UTM/v9/up2date/u2d-sys-9.510005-600005.tgz.gpg

which speed do you reach?

Hi Dirkkotte,

I try 3 methods. They are through "firewall" , "DMZ" and "with out firewall". Both result are around 5M/s ~ 5.5M/s download speed.

• ok, thats not much ...

possible if the ftp server is located far from your country.

But it is more than the reported speed (2xx-3xxkb/s) from first post.

is it possible you try a local speed-test? With and W/O Firewall?

Dirk

• Hi Dirkkotte,

Following is the speed test result from Government Web Site.

The download speed drops so much when use the firewall.

• that's OK. the proxy functionality often distorts these results in this way.
    with "normal" network traffic and multiple users, significantly more throughput should be achieved.
    but the values displayed here (> 300MB / s) are not really bad ... and far from 1-3 MB / s.
    so it is difficult to understand the problem.

Do you use the chinese gov seceurity systems form HK too?

Dirk

• But the download speed drops around 60% when through firewall. It is still not reasonable.

Does the problem come from the firmware?

• Try to download a big file from a local server (HK).

I use .iso files mostly. From europe i often use debian images.

Dirk

• I try download a file 4.5G from my home NAS. Both download speeds are 6.5-7.4M/s.

• Hi Dirkkotte,

This Morning, I try download a file from Mega.nz and Dropbox. They have following result.

thx!

Reply Children
No Data