This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Telstra Fibre - Traffic Shaping

Hi,

We have just upgraded a couple of clients to Telstra Fibre here in Australia and have been given a document about setting up Traffic Shaping.

Traffic_Shaping_Guidelines.pdf

The example they give is for a Cisco Router:

Step 1

Create Policy Map

policy-map

class class-default

shape average

E.g. For a 20Mbps service:

router(config)# policy-map Exetel_20M_service

class class-default

shape average 19600000 200000 0

If the CPE does not accept ‘0’ for excess-burst, input a small value. E.g. 1000

Step 2

Apply Policy Map to interface/sub-interface

interface ethernet

service-policy output

E.g. attach our 20M Service policy to the outgoing

Fast Ethernet interface

router(config)# interface FastEthernet4

service-policy output Exetel_20M_service

Have attached the pdf file as well.

Can we do this on the UTM?

I have configured QoS via the GUI for the interface to use 19.6 Mbps for upload and download but would assume this is not enough?

Regards

Andy

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • What are you trying to accomplish, Andy?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

Currently we just connect the UTM directly to the NTU or ADSL router for the Internet links we currently use.

In this case the Telstra Fibre has an NTU that presents a Ethernet Port to connect to as per normal but we are being told for the link to work correctly we need to setup traffic shaping as per the document supplied in the uploaded document.

They provide an example for a Cisco router, I am trying to find out if this can be done in the UTM or will I need to install a router between the UTM and the NTU to do the shaping?

Regards

Andy

• The UTM can do traffic shaping.  Post pictures of the Edits of your rules and of the Telstra Interface on the 'Global' tab.

Also, tell us what the maximum number of simultaneous conversations might be and the minimum up/down speeds guaranteed by Telstra.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • The easiest way to implement a traffic control is to navigate to the dashboard.   In the upper right corner, there is an icon for each interface.   Click on the icon for your WAN interface.   A pop-up window will appear.   After a few seconds, it will populate all of the active applications and their current bandwidth usage.   To the right of each row are buttons for block, shape, and throttle.   UTM will prompt you and then create all of the objects needed to make the rule work.    Throttle provides an upper limit on bandwidth.   Shaping always requires a minimum bandwidth and optionally takes an upper limit.  Block disables use of the application.

Here is my understanding of both Cisco and UTM objects:

• I think Cisco Class Map is equivalent to the UTM Traffic Selector, which is the traffic you want to control.   I think UTM has more flexibility on selection, because of its application identifiers.
    • I think Cisco Service Policy is equivalent to the UTM Bandwidth Pool object (for traffic shaping) or Download Throttle object (for traffic limiting) 

Everything about Cisco ASA seems to require layers of complexity to configure, but ASDM helps.   UTM is all GUI, and more intuitive.

• Hi Bob,

Not sure what you mean by the 'Global' tab, don't believe I have this.

I will attached images of the QoS settings I have, that seem to be making a difference.

I set the Download and Upload limit to 19.6Mbit/sec

I created a traffic selector for all traffic

Added that traffic selector to a bandwidth pool

The service purchased is a 20mb/20Mb service with a 1:1 contention, not aware of a minimum guaranteed up/down speed.

This is the info from the PDF provided

Here is the document provided by the ISP

1376.Traffic_Shaping_Guidelines.pdf

Regards

Andy

• Hi Douglas,

I am just looking to apply traffic shaping on the interface not by application.

This is from the ISP who is providing the Fibre Link via on the Telcos here in Australia.

If CE Firewalls are not able to perform the correct shaping their upload speeds will be affected.

Download speeds won’t be affected as the download traffic is shaped on Exetel end.

This is what I would like the UTM to do otherwise we will need to put a Router between the UTM and the NTU.

Thanks

Andy

• I see several errors, Andy, but we need more information before I make specific recommendations: "Also, tell us what the maximum number of simultaneous conversations might be and the minimum up/down speeds guaranteed by Telstra."

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

Sorry, I do not know what the maximum number of conversations might be, is this something I can pull from the UTM at present?  There are about 80 users at the site.

In theory the minimum and maximum Upload and Download speeds will be 20Mb/s less overheads. This is a Fibre Optic link with a 1 to 1 contention ratio.

Supposedly when there are no faults it should run at 20Mb/s

As stated the ISP handles the throttling of the traffic for download's to only allow 20Mb/s less overheads.

They require the customers router/switch/firewall to handle traffic shaping to only use about 19.6Mb/s for upload.

All I have is the document that I have uploaded to the forum previously in regards to traffic shaping requirements.

As I said I am not trying to shape or throttle by application or protocol, I am just trying to throttle the total upload to 19.6Mb/s.

The document states for an offered speed of 20Mb/s to have a Shaping Rate of 19.6Mb/s with a shaping burst of 200000 bits and an extended burst of 0 bits, how that can translated for the UTM what I do not know.  The documents states that:

Please be aware that some hardware devices may not be equipped with traffic shaping and may not have the capability to set certain traffic shaping functions. E.g. ‘Burst bit rate’ which is an important function.

So if the UTM is not able to do this then I will need to look at putting another device in between the UTM and the NTU.

Regards

Andy

• Now I understand that Telstra has a pipe that's capable of much faster speeds but throttles your downloads to a maximum of 20Mbps.  Apparently, if you exceed 20 up, they charge you more on your next bill.  If that's correct, then you don't need any QoS rules, just the configuration of the interface on the 'Status' tab.

The UTM doesn't use a burst rate, but it can limit uplink traffic absolutely to 19.6.  I don't know if gaining an additional 200000 bps for an occasional burst is worth investing in an additional device.

Since Telstra is throttling your download speed, I would un-tick 'Limit Downlink'.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA