This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Resolve Domain and Hostnames in Reporting , wrong DNS settings?

Hi there,

i have the following setup:

UTM 9.5 which runs between the modem and the wlan router/switch. UTM is set up in transparent mode.

I run a DNS "server"/internal forwarder (pihole, details at https://pi-hole.net/ ) at 192.168.0.115 on a raspberry pi, which blocks ads and malware.

DHCP server is setup in UTM, domain name is set in DHCP settings as: myutm.local

Also, in the DHCP server settings, 192.168.0.115 is set up as the primary DNS (with 8.8.8.8 as the secondary DNS)

DNS settings:

Global --> Allow internal network

Forwarder --> Retreive DNS addresses from the ISP

I would like to keep using the pihole, and i would like to have the IP addresses resolved in the firewall reports in the UTM.

Do i have to set up the pihole also in the UTM DNS forwarder settings? Or do i keep this setting empty? 

Do i have to set up additional entries in the route request tab in the DNS settings?

I there tried to set up Domain --> 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa and as target server my pihole dns server. That did not work, as the reports keep showing just the IP adresses. 

Any ideas how to solve this? 

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Jones9

You need to Configure Network Services - DNS - Request Routing - there insert you RDNS Record like you said above " 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa " pointing to your DNS Server.

Regards

Jason

Regards

Jason

Sophos Certified Architect - UTM

• Hi Jones9

You need to Configure Network Services - DNS - Request Routing - there insert you RDNS Record like you said above " 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa " pointing to your DNS Server.

Regards

Jason

Regards

Jason

Children
  • Jason Klein said:

Hi Jones9

Regards

Jason

Hi, 

unfortunately, that did not work. There are still only IPs shown, not their hostnames. 

• Please compare your configurations to the DNS Best Practice post.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA