This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM Home 9.508 Admin Password Reset How To is not working - maybe for 9.508 it is a Little bit different?

Hi Folks,

i have a utm home (9.508, i hope so - the utm online help "says" in the bottom line: Sophos UTM 9.508) and i lost the paper with the admin Password.

I tried the following how to:

https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/115346

and i also tried the german one:

https://pits-online.info/2017/02/03/sophos-utm-passwort-wiederherstellen/

but both are not working. 

There is still only the Login Screen for user/password and not the changing password site.

I tried it many times, very slowly, step by step but allways the same result:

NO Changing Password site when i connected to the utm.

Maybe it is because of the utm Version???

I really hope someone can help me!

or

I have a backup config file, is this maybe helpful?

Thanks for helping

Harold

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hallo Harold,

Please show us what you did at the command line and the system's responses.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

thanks very much for your reply ...

i am a bit busy during the week so i will do it during the Weekend ...

Cheers - Harold

• Hello Bob,

attached my step by step PDF.

I hope you have maybe an idea, what i can try todo too fix it.

Would be Great. Thanks a lot.

Cheers

Harold

Start UTM and i pressed esc for choosing the UTM version.pdf

• I can't see why that isn't working, Harold.  Have you tried a simple restore?  If that doesn't work, it may be time to re-image from ISO.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

thanks for giving me feedback. helps a lot.

i tried it again and now the root pw (ClosedDoor) works (i changed again the Keyboard) but anyway ... i can do all the steps from the Manual included the last step after changing the root Password, means cc and so on - and i reieve the same Feedback after i type System_password_reset but i still don't reach the changing Password Screen after i  connected via Webbrowser to the utm.

Now i will try another utm home Version 9.4 instead of 9.3, maybe this helps. Means i try reinstalling on another drive and using an older backup.

I have 2 questions:

1. it is possible (that i won't work) because i use the 32-bit Version?

2. i have an old backup. after i reinstall it and restore the backup. there is still the old (unknown) admin Password for admin user, right? Or is there any possiblity to restore the backup without the admin Password?

thanks for your Reply.

Harold

• Hi Bob,

i have the answers for my questions :-)

1. it has nothing todo with 32 or 64 bit System. with both is the same .. and also with 9.4 - the same.

2. with the backup everything is fine but anyway after i installed a fresh System from ISO and Import the backup during the first config step and reset the root Password later and so on it is still the same (also with 9.4 as 32 or 64 bit):

i can do all the steps (like shown in the pw reset Manual), the new root pw is working and also cc, RAW and reset_system_password gives me the correct result: 1 

but when i connect by browser to the utm, there is still "only" the "normal" Login Screen and not the: admin Password reset Screen.

i really hope you have still any ideas to fix it because i have no documentation of the config and it is an older (complex) config.

Can i work with the backup in any other way ... what do you think ... i really hope you have any ideas?

Really thanks for your help.

Harold

• If you can access the command line after the UTM comes up, you can set the password for the admin user to ClosedDoor.  As root:

cc passwd ClosedDoor

Is that what you needed?

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • cc passwd.pdf

Hi Bob,

yes thats it, but anyway still not working ...

I can Login as root (with ClosedDoor) and with cc passwd i can change the admin password, see pic 1 but when i open a browser (with clean temp Folder ...) and connect to the utm (webadmin) and i type: admin/ClosedDoor, i recieve the "answer" wrong user or password. See pic 2 ...

I will try it again tommorow and i really hope that it works ... or you have still any ideas? Hope so :-)

can i maybe use another "user" or anything like that ... or anything else ... the solution is so close but allways the last step fails ...

Thanks a lot Bob

Harold

• There was no picture, Harold.

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • 6114.cc passwd.pdf

Hi Bob,

sorry for this miss understanding, i placed the 2 pics in a pdf and attached it to my message.

Maybe next time better to intigrate it into my message, but sometimes the web Editor "killed" my message when i tried to placed a pic in between and i had to start writing again from the beginning ... so first i placed the PDF and then i start writing.

Again the PDF attached.

Hope you have another idea ... and thanks for your help/feedback.

cheers

Harold

• Hi Bob,

now i have an idea, why it is not working well with "my" utm ...

i "played" a little bit with a fresh utm Installation and anytime i changed the language from english to german it is not possible to change the Password or better the changing has no effect ... everytime i changed back from german to english, the cc passwd ClosedDoor for admin is working fine ...

You have any idea to change the language maybe in my backup config file or is there a way to upload my config during a fresh installation and changing the language local as root directly after the config upload?

Also eyery other ideas are more than welcome :-)

cheers

harold

• Interesting, Harold!  You can change the language at the command line:

cc set webadmin language german

Just as experiment, what result do you get from the following when you change between English and German in WebAdmin?

cc get_user_by_name admin|grep hash

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Interesting, Harold!  You can change the language at the command line:

cc set webadmin language german

Just as experiment, what result do you get from the following when you change between English and German in WebAdmin?

cc get_user_by_name admin|grep hash

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
Children
  • Hi Bob,

great, thanks. But it was only an idea with the language ... 

in the test Installation: cc get_user_by_name admin|grep hash

i recieved in both languages the same hash ... so the language is not the "Problem" from my understanding.

The Story behind that Login Problem is a bit longer ... the short version: i gave someone access to the utm, because i was not at home for a while (i share the appartment with a few people) and now i have these problems ...

because after i restored from backup, again not possible to Login, no matter which language ...

i tried different names, and looks like the user Name for admin was changed ... not only the Password ...

with cc get_user_by_name i tried different "possible" names and i "found" the Name -> the Default Super-Admin user has a new Name. 

can i Change it with cc ... the Password for that user or changing the Name back to admin?

I tried it but i need help with the correct Syntax ...

Thanks a lot!

Cheers Harold

• cc change_object REF_DefaultSuperAdmin name admin

The result should be REF_DefaultSuperAdmin if the command was successful or 0 if the command failed.

To check the name, you could do:

cc get_object REF_DefaultSuperAdmin |grep \'name\'

Cheers - Bob

MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Hi Bob,

you are great! Yeah! Fixed!!!!

Thanks so much for our conversation!

I learned a lot!