This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Is UTM 9 right for me.

Hello for the last 20+ years I have only had a flat network at home. However in the last 18 months my old neteork topology has become unsuitable. I now have 8 network cameras & a NVR plus 3 media devices, PC, laptop phones and tablets plus home automation controller and multiple HA devices.

This has led to some stability issues on the old network. I recently setup up a switch that supports Vlans so have setup a Sophos UTM 9 on an old PC to provide Nat and DHCP for the Vlans and an internal separate network.

I have created 1 vlan for CCTV  a separate one for media and have my main pc and printer etc on the separate internal interface. The UTM external interface is on an exposed host to my internet router so as not to have double nat. All of the home automation is direct to the other router ports and completely external to the UTM (partly due to the 50 interface limit but also given some the difficulties in learning the new device I don't need the extra issues).

My main requirements are

1) I believe i need seperate lans for stability and

added security

2) l want a device to provide DHCP for my lans

3) I probably need Nat rules and firewall rules to

route the network traffic appropriately.

4) Having more robust internet security and ad

blocking is desirable.

5) Scanning of emails is desirable

So my questions are

A) Have a chosen an appropriate solution or should i

be looking at doing it another way.

B) Which of the modes is most appropriate for me

Bridged, Mixed or whatever.

C) Which mode of web filtering should i use.

Sorry about the long post and thanks for any advice you can provide.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.