This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Uplink Balancing - failover & monitoring

I currently use Uplink Balancing for failover backup purpose. In detail a have a primary cable line and a failover dsl line. This configuration was working quite good until weekend where I had a maintenance window to do about 6 deferred firmware upgrades. Now current fw version is 9.506-2.
Right after the last upgrade I noticed that the primary line appears to be instable since the failover kicked in about once per hour switching to backup and after few minutes back to primary. It was so annoying that I had to login remotely and disable the notifications about the WAN down & up.

Now I think there could be several reasons for this behavior:
1. The "automatic" monitoring (currently used) has been changed to be more ambitious (detecting even short outages) in one of the latest fw releases.
2. The  servers that are used for "automatic" monitoring are difficult to reach
3. The primary line has become unstable on the same weekend when I did my upgrades - which would be a big coincidence

Is it possible to find out which servers are uses by "automatic monitoting" and how it is done in detail (ICMP/Ping, etc.) ?
Should I rather configure "other" servers for monitoring? But which one to choose? Ask my provider or maybe ping google dns servers 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 ?
Any other ideas how to fix this instability?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Just FYI. I had a similar problem. Brand new firewall, installed at the customer premises. Then I wanted to configure Uplink Balancing, the main Interface was always on "error" state in dashboard and so the backup interface was always active. After doing some research (thanks for your thread) I changed from automatic monitoring to manual (added 8.8.4.4, 8.8.8.8, 9.9.9.9) and the problem was gone. So this can be an issue....

Good day,

Sebastian

• Just FYI. I had a similar problem. Brand new firewall, installed at the customer premises. Then I wanted to configure Uplink Balancing, the main Interface was always on "error" state in dashboard and so the backup interface was always active. After doing some research (thanks for your thread) I changed from automatic monitoring to manual (added 8.8.4.4, 8.8.8.8, 9.9.9.9) and the problem was gone. So this can be an issue....

Good day,

Sebastian

Children
No Data