This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Uplink Balancing - failover & monitoring

I currently use Uplink Balancing for failover backup purpose. In detail a have a primary cable line and a failover dsl line. This configuration was working quite good until weekend where I had a maintenance window to do about 6 deferred firmware upgrades. Now current fw version is 9.506-2.
Right after the last upgrade I noticed that the primary line appears to be instable since the failover kicked in about once per hour switching to backup and after few minutes back to primary. It was so annoying that I had to login remotely and disable the notifications about the WAN down & up.

Now I think there could be several reasons for this behavior:
1. The "automatic" monitoring (currently used) has been changed to be more ambitious (detecting even short outages) in one of the latest fw releases.
2. The  servers that are used for "automatic" monitoring are difficult to reach
3. The primary line has become unstable on the same weekend when I did my upgrades - which would be a big coincidence

Is it possible to find out which servers are uses by "automatic monitoting" and how it is done in detail (ICMP/Ping, etc.) ?
Should I rather configure "other" servers for monitoring? But which one to choose? Ask my provider or maybe ping google dns servers 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 ?
Any other ideas how to fix this instability?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • When strange things happen after an Up2Date, it could be because an Up2Date damaged the configuration.  I would make a new config backup and restore one from just before you applied the last Up2Dates.  Any luck with that?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • I asked my provider about the dropouts and it seems we could find at least one match in his statistics.

I just re-enabled the notification options for WAN uplink down & up and we will watch how things turn out.

Thank you all for your effort!

Reply Children
No Data