This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Allow Outbound Emails with Password Protected Excel attachments

I have a number of users who like to send Excel sheets with a password to outbound recipients. These mails are detected as unscannable by Mail Manager, so now I have to release these manually after a call from the user.

Is there a 'safe' method to allow these mails to pass, without me having to release them manually?

The only way I found to do this now, is to exclude all outbound mail for these users, but that does not feel good ;-)

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • The other option is under Email Protection..  Malware...  "Quarantine unscannable and encrypted content"   Apparently you have it checked.

As long as that is checked, it is doing what you want.  It can be configured globally or per-mail-domain, but it does not seem to be configurable one way for inbound and another way for outbound.   You could configure your mail server to bypass UTM for outbound mail, which would be a backhanded way of making the setting unidirectional.

• There's not a lot of flexibility here, as Doug says.  Another option is to select 'Unscannable' in 'Release Options' on the 'Advanced' tab of 'Quarantine Report'.  Unfortunately, that applies to everyone that receives a Quarantine Report or that can login to the User Portal.  Finally, and possibly most-practical for you, you could assign one or two people as "Mail Manager" on the 'Access Control' tab of 'Management >> WebAdmin Settings'.

Cheers - Bob 

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA