This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Installation of Endpoint Protection UTM on Windows 10 1607 (14393.321) not working

Hello together,

I want to install Sophos Endpoint Protection UTM on newly installed Windows 10 1607 (Build 14393.321) machine. I had an very old full installation package (10.3). It installed but it didn't get updates. I had this issue last year with Windows 1511 and solved it by copying the files from an working machine with a newer build (11.0.9). But this doesn't help now. The installed build on the new machine stays at 10.3. So I completely uninstalled Endpoint Protection.

After searching in this community there was a hint that with UTM 9.407-3 there's a new installation package. I downloaded the slim and the full package. But the installation of both packages fails shortly after start because of an internet connection error. The bootstrap log says:

Failed to send a WinHTTP request. The error code was 10106 (Der angeforderte Dienstanbieter konnte nicht geladen oder initialisiert werden.).

The system has a working internet connection so I don't know the reason for this error.

Does anyone know how to solve this issue? Thank you.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello together,

after a complete recovery of my newly installed Windows 10 system I was able to install the full package which I downloaded yesterday after a hint that UTM 9.407-3 has a new package. But this isn't true: It's the same old 10.3 installation package as it was in the past. So this one isn't compatible with Windows 10. It can be installed but it doesn't get any updates. Only the enabling and disabling of tamper protection works. Now I'm uninstalling the Enpoint Protection once again.

Has anyone else this issue when installing Endpoint Protection on a newly installed Windows 10 1607? How did you solve it?

On my UTM Home 9.407-3 as HA system I see that Sophos LiveConnect is disabled. After resetting the Registration Token, LiveConnect ist enabled. But after some time it's disabled again. The status of LiveConnect switches from enabled to disabled and back to enabled again and again. Why? Is this the reason for the failed installation of the new Enpoint Protection client or for the client not updating itself?

Come on SOPHOS, why don't you release a new Installation package with the release 11.0.9 which is working with Windows 10? What's wrong with UTM and LiveConnect for the Endpoint Protection client? Why does the UTM say that it never looked for new Up2Dates?

I spent now about 9 hours for troubleshooting without any result.

Kind Regards

TheExpert

• greets

zaphod

Home: Zotac CI321 (8GB RAM / 120GB SSD)  with latest Sophos UTM
    Work: 2 SG430 Cluster / many other models like SG105/SG115/SG135/SG135w/...

• Thank you. Yes, I read it. But it isn't possible to read the BUG ID NUTM-5297.

Network Access Message: The page cannot be displayed
    Explanation: There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed.

Try the following:
    • Refresh page: Search for the page again by clicking the Refresh button. The timeout may have occurred due to Internet congestion.
    • Check spelling: Check that you typed the Web page address correctly. The address may have been mistyped.
    • Access from a link: If there is a link to the page you are looking for, try accessing the page from that link.
    Technical Information (for support personnel)
    • Error Code: 403 Forbidden. The page requires a client certificate as part of the authentication process. If you are using a smart card, you will need to insert your smart card to select an appropriate certificate. Otherwise, contact your server administrator. (12213)

How can I follow the BUG ID? I can't review if this bug could be a cause for my issues and when this bug will be solved.

Sophos should immediately update the installation package of Endpoint Protection and Control so that there's no need to update the software version first.

Kind Regards

TheExpert

• yes i also can not read it.. seems to be an internal sophos system which we as normal users cannot open...

i have checked a updated win10 system.. it works without problems with the utm endpoint.. so problem is when you install directly 1607 version and then trying to install utm endpoint..

greets

zaphod

• this may depend on the particular license UTM...

a few weeks ago, I have everything worked, only a web control did not work, and then the same agent has ceased to be installed.

• Yes, systems with updated Windows 10 (from 1511 to 1607) are working because they have Endpoint Protection and Control 11.0.9 UTM installed. But a newly installed Endpoint Protection client (10.3) on a fresh installation of Windows 10 1607 doesn't update itself to 11.0.9. The client is installed, gets the policy from UTM and is listed as online system on the UTM. But when doing a manual update it says that there's no connection to the server. I don't know which server is meant. Is it http://dci.sophos.com?

Kind Regards

TheExpert

• think its the server in the update-section in the utm-client which you cant change... d3.sophosupd.com

greets

zaphod

• I tried to reach d3.sophosupd.com via web browser and get the following message:

Sophos d3 Site
    Connection Successful

So the newly installed system can reach this server. Then I had a look at the update settings. Two working clients have different user names and the new one has the same user name as one of my working systems. I can't change this option. Is it OK when the clients are using the same user name?

I'm also confused about the token. As I wrote earlier I resetted the token because LiveConnect was offline. Do I have to change the token for all clients by copying the file "registration.txt" with the new token to the path "C:\ProgramData\Sophos\Management Communications System\Endpoint\Config"? All older clients are up to date - also since the reset of the token - so I don't know for what the token stands for and for what it is used.

Kind Regards

TheExpert

• Hello all,

there are some unanswered questions:

1. How can I follow the known bug (BUG ID NUTM-5297)? I'm not sure if this bug has to do with my issues.
    2. I don't know for what the token stands for and for what it is used. Can someone explain? Do I have to change the token for all clients by copying the file "registration.txt" with the new token to the path "C:\ProgramData\Sophos\Management Communications System\Endpoint\Config" after resetting it on the UTM?
    3. The client is installed, gets the policy from UTM and is listed as online system on the UTM. But when doing a manual update it says that there's no connection to the server. Which server is meant?

Kind Regards

TheExpert

• you can't install a new agent with the old token. if you generated on the side of UTM the new token.

• But on all older installations there's no need to update the token?

Kind Regards

TheExpert

Reply Children
No Data