This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

After install auto update cannot contact server

We are installing Sophos end point protections on our workstations. In our LAN every is working fine, but on a remote site connected with site to site VPN the update is not working. When I try to start the update I get the message could not contact server. I can internet with this computer and when I test site:
d1.sophosupd.com i get output: it works
I uninstall and reinstall the software, no succes at all.
We do not use a proxy for this site.
In the update log we see this:
Time: 25-10-2013 14:10:14
Message: Sophos AutoUpdate could not continue due to a missing or wrong item of information in the config file
Module: SophosUpdate
Process ID: 6028
Thread ID: 1072

The update server is the same on this computer in compair with my own workstation: https://mcs1-8789.broker.sophos.com/sophos/management/ep/
I can ping this adres from the remote site.

The installed version is 10.2 that came with the default setup.
The Computer on the remote site is a special computer with two NICS, one is connected to a PLC network the other to the LAN.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Is there a firewall there blocking the traffic?  See: An endpoint computer fails to update ('Could not contact server')

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • Is there a firewall there blocking the traffic?  See: An endpoint computer fails to update ('Could not contact server')

Cheers - Bob

No, I can reach the update servers fine from that workstation. On my own PC I do not have any problem and when I monitor with Microsoft Netwerk monitor I see that the process sophosupdate.exe contacts the update server. On the workstation I try to start the update, this process is not started. I only see swi_service.exe running but that is a component of the Sophos AV & HIPS web protection. sophosupdate.exe is not running when I manual give a "Update Now" action.
    We Install the Sophos End point protection on a other workstation in the same network, and that is working just fine. We think the problem is caused by the dual NIC in this workstation where the Sophos not is updating.
  • I can reach the update servers fine from that workstation

How, exactly, did you confirm that?

We think the problem is caused by the dual NIC in this workstation

Have you tried checking with tcpdump on the UTM interface to see if the update traffic is reaching it?

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA