This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos vs MSE

Hi
I've been trying convince some coworkers to switch from Microsoft security essentials to Sophos, some of them are saying that MSE offers better protection. I could not find any direct comparisons other then Virus Bulletin : VB100 award and logo that gives them both 100. Anyone have any selling points to convince them to change?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • The problem that I have with MSE, is that it utilizes Windows Update to update definitions.  Sophos updates a lot more regularly than once a day/minimum - sometimes, not at all, as some people (and companies) do not set WU to update on a daily basis.

Sophos contacts 'home' multiple times a day for latest updates.  Viruses/malware/etc. is not just updated once a day, month or year - there are tons pushed out on the internet by the hour or minute.

MSE also only supports MS products.  Other AV software (not just Sophos) can be installed on Linux, smartphones, Mac, you name it.  

What protection would you rather have?  [:)]

I would like to see how they know it offers better protection against anti-virus products.  Are they just reading biased articles, or getting true data?

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

• Not a fan of MSE (at least in comparison to many 3rd party products).  Have a look at AV-Comparatives - Independent Tests of Anti-Virus Software ... each AV vendor has their strengths and weaknesses, Sophos seems to strike a pretty good balance, when you look at all the tests done as a whole.

I do note that the AV Comparatives site does not appear to be testing MSE on a monthly basis ("real-world" protection tests) as they are with the other vendors, not sure why that is.  I found MSE in a "performance" test, but that tests speed impact on the system, not detection rates.  They also appear in the file detection tests (Microsoft was a rather poor performer in the latest one they ran a comparison on).

Also note that Sophos testing on this site (at Sophos' request, apparently) was done without the advanced heuristics and other settings enabled, default, out of the box only.  Seems some other vendors requested the same conditions for being tested.

CTO, Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC

https://www.convergesecurity.com

Sophos Platinum Partner

--------------------------------------

Advice given as posted on this forum does not construe a support relationship or other relationship with Convergent Information Security Solutions, LLC or its subsidiaries.  Use the advice given at your own risk.

• Those are very different product offers.

The MSE is just an engine searching for virus signatures. The Sophos is a complete suite for endpoint protections, and comes with central management/dashboards, automatic deployments, DLP, disk encryption, web filtering, patch assessment etc.

You may have to compare MSE with others products in the same category (basic, free AV), like AVG, Avira and Avast).
  • There is no automatic deployments, DLP, disk encryption or patch assessment in Endpoint protection. At least, not the one that works with astaro. Looks like they have a stand alone that does a lot more, Endpoint Protection | Enterprise Endpoint Security Software | Sophos wish they would bring some of these features over.
  • Yes, you are right. I thought we were talking about the Endpoint full product, not the Endpoint Protection from the UTM modules. (I know we are in the UTM forum, but this naming collision tricked me)

So, we still have the central management and the removable media control. Not sure if the MSE has it, though...
  • Yes, you are right. I thought we were talking about the Endpoint full product, not the Endpoint Protection from the UTM modules. (I know we are in the UTM forum, but this naming collision tricked me)

So, we still have the central management and the removable media control. Not sure if the MSE has it, though...

No, in order to get that, you would have to purchase their Forefront product line.  Same engine, just for a business model.

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)