This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Updated to 9.601-5, received a new notice under Endpoint Protection about it expiring/EOL?

IMPORTANT UPDATE FOR SOPHOS UTM ENDPOINT PROTECTION CUSTOMERS

We have now stopped selling Sophos UTM Endpoint Protection subscriptions as of December 31st, 2018 and will retire support at the end of 2019.

Customers should upgrade — for free — to Sophos Central-managed Endpoint Protection which delivers enhanced protection and management capabilities. Learn more: https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/122865

So does the Free version have to do this as well, or do we just go as is?  Sort of a cryptic message to spew out to us.  Does it mean we are going to lose our free version too?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Amodin,

I spoke at great length about this with Sophos, they said that due to the ever increasing threat landscape (and the complexity of the threats), users will need more than just an anti-virus. Although it is a good AV package and does provide a lot of the protection required, Sophos decided that going with a Cloud based distribution model, than having to update the Sophos UTM every 3-4 times a year, this could leave you open to potential threats.

They told me to use Sophos Home or the Endpoint Advanced products.

hope this helps.

XG & UTM Architect (Systems: XG v18 & UTM 9.7 - Virtual, HW & SW)
    Curious enough to take it apart, skilled enough to put it back together, Clever enough to hide the extra parts when I'm Done!

• Thanks for the reply,

So I am to take it that we are going to lose this as part of the free version of Home UTM service.  I can understand their model, I just don't understand their delivery methods in telling us this and being vague, or at least post about it (sorry if I missed it) and tell us, "Hey we are switching our model on you, suck it up and go get something else".

The advertising between that and the wireless stuff that appeared in that huge, obnoxious banner was a bit annoying.  I almost feel like UTM is being forced out and everything is being pushed to XG, which IMO still isn't really enough for me to switch to and be happy about it.  I'd still rather have the IP limitation rather than a hardware one, not to mention what I'd lose, have to set back up and start things from scratch.  No idea if my AP30s would work or not with it (although I doubt it - we have to push other products).

OPNSense 64-bit | Intel Xeon 4-core v3 1225 3.20Ghz
    16GB Memory | 500GB SSD HDD | ATT Fiber 1GB
    (Former Sophos UTM Veteran, Former XG Rookie)

• Hi Amodin,

I can understand your frustration, as the long conversations I had with Sophos was on this subject, as until I asked the question they would never provide a straight answer.. lol.

As for the AP30, I use the AP50 which work without issue, I have three of these and have connected these via a 5GHz mesh network (on either the UTM or XG). I am sure that the AP30s will work.

I do agree with you about the XG, there is a lot to develop before I can even sell this to a customer, although some of the bells and whistles are quite nice..

A couple of points that need to be addressed are;

DHCP Server (from GUI not CLI).

DNS Server.

NTP Server.

More control over the (Transparent) Proxy functions.

inclusion of heartbeat into these free Endpoint security products (nice to have).

these are more, but this cover the obvious ones.

Curious enough to take it apart, skilled enough to put it back together, Clever enough to hide the extra parts when I'm Done!

• Hi Amodin,

I can understand your frustration, as the long conversations I had with Sophos was on this subject, as until I asked the question they would never provide a straight answer.. lol.

As for the AP30, I use the AP50 which work without issue, I have three of these and have connected these via a 5GHz mesh network (on either the UTM or XG). I am sure that the AP30s will work.

I do agree with you about the XG, there is a lot to develop before I can even sell this to a customer, although some of the bells and whistles are quite nice..

A couple of points that need to be addressed are;

DHCP Server (from GUI not CLI).

DNS Server.

NTP Server.

More control over the (Transparent) Proxy functions.

inclusion of heartbeat into these free Endpoint security products (nice to have).

these are more, but this cover the obvious ones.

Children
No Data