This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Optimize SSIDs

Hey there,

I have some questions concerning SSIDs.

A client of mine has almost 6 SSIDs from neigbors and wants to have APs in its office.

So he wants to have 3 SSIDs on its own.

What can I do to help in order to increase the SSIDs' reach? Which canal do I have to use the most? 2,4-5 or 5 Ghz?

And how do th AP loadbalance access? For instance we have 20 users on one AP and 1 on another, what happens ? How can we avoid saturation?

Thanks for your help !

Regards,

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • First thing you should do is fire up a free WiFi scanner like inSSIDer and take a sniff of the WiFi. Don't touch the 5GHz spectrum yet as only 802.11n & ac devices utilize the 5GHz band (and some early n devices don't).

What you want to look at is which 2.4GHz channels are most used and which are least used. You want to look at 1, 6, and 11 as they don't overlap each other, whereas the others do. Once you know which channels are quietest, set your AP to those channels. To add a quirk to everything, if you have multiple AP's in the building, make sure each AP is on a different channel.

5GHz is a bit of a different beast as there's a lot more channels to choose from. Excluding 802.11ac which adds it's own complexities, most channels in the 5GHz range are not overlapping, and 802.11n has something like 12 non-overlapping channels to choose from. Google it if your interested but it's an interesting range to play with if your a wifi geek. [:)]

As far as load balancing, to the best of my knowledge the AP's don't. The client devices decide which AP to talk to and they decide that based on which AP has the strongest signal.
  • Thanks a lot, I will consider these tips [:)]
  • hello KrzysztofRaczynski,

a loooong awaiting feature is utm based client steering.

so goto : feature.astaro.com/.../3513549-ap-50-option-to-push-client-to-5ghz

and vote for that ...

perhaps sophos will hear us (;-)