This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

software appliance with WLAN

Hello Guys,

i saw that there will be SGs released with onboard wlan SG105w - SG135w. 

Does some one know if it will be possible to get also integrated wlan working on software appliances?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I think it's possible, but probably some work. You need a version officially supporting those 'w' appliance models, otherwise it cannot work. At least UTM v9.300 does.

* You need an Atheros PCI card supported by ath9k or ath10k driver, USB will not work (UTM only has these drivers)
    [* You need to somehow modify the MAC address to the SOPHOS range (00-1A-8C-XX-XX-XX). That must happen before setitfhw.plx is run at boot, I think a custom udev rule can do that.] See below, that may not be necessary.

Then, after a reboot it should be detected by UTM and possible to configure.
  • Yesterday I inserted a new Compex WLE200NX PCIe card (Atheros AR9280) into my Home-UTM and it showed up in WebAdmin automatically.  No udev rule was necessary. Cool!

I have no antennas and pigtails yet, though so I was unable to get a signal. Hopefully they arrive this week.

Also I was unable to get it in a useful configuration (bridge local AP to internal LAN, eth0  wlan0). It was possible to configure that bridge but it didn't work as expected. And also there's a bug in 9.3x: You cannot unconfigure a bridge, had to restore a config backup.
  • Okay, I got a hint from a Sophos tester that the client traffic type 'standalone' is supposed to be used for the local AP. This creates a bridge interface where you have to put in another LAN interface. Sadly you cannot put in eth0 in there, though so one port wasted.

Seems like the client traffic type 'separate zone' was never tested being used in a bridge, which is possible since v9.300.
  • hi,
    i have also a Compex WLE200NX Atheros 802.11a/b/g/n miniPCI express wireless card (Version 9.303-2 at home on a PCEninges apu1c).
    I get the following messages:
    2014:12:09-23:37:51 myutm hostapd: Configuration file: /var/run/hostapd-phy0.conf
    2014:12:09-23:37:51 myutm hostapd: wifi0: interface state UNINITIALIZED->COUNTRY_UPDATE
    2014:12:09-23:37:56 myutm hostapd: Driver does not support configured HT capability [LDPC]
    2014:12:09-23:37:56 myutm hostapd: wifi0: interface state COUNTRY_UPDATE->DISABLED
    2014:12:09-23:37:56 myutm hostapd: wifi0: AP-DISABLED
    2014:12:09-23:37:56 myutm hostapd: hostapd_free_hapd_data: Interface wifi0 wasn't started

Has someone any ideas, why it doesn't works?
    I haven't changed the MAC Address
  • How did you configure the local AP?
  • hi,
    i have also a Compex WLE200NX Atheros 802.11a/b/g/n miniPCI express wireless card (Version 9.303-2 at home on a PCEninges apu1c).
    I get the following messages:

Has someone any ideas, why it doesn't works?
    I haven't changed the MAC Address

Sophos uses a different chipset with different featureset and they seem to hardcode it into hostapd. The Compex WLE200NX doesn't support the features 'LDPC' & 'SHORT-GI-20', though and hostapd complains. So, the optimal solution is to buy a wifi card that has the same chipset that Sophos uses.

Workaround: Edit "/etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf-default" like this and restart middleware via "/etc/init.d/mdw restart"
    #ht_capab=[]
    ht_capab=[HT40+][SHORT-GI-40][TX-STBC][RX-STBC1][DSSS_CCK-40]

This file will be overwritten by Up2Date whenever it contains a hostapd RPM, though!

Someone with an SG1XXw appliance here? Which Atheros wifi chip does it use?

Hint: Type "iw list" to get a list of all supported features / capabilities of your wifi, that way I figured out which ones the Compex didn't have.
  • so this one should be an appropriate 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WIFI module: Compex WiFi, WODASIGN Homeplug, networking technology and X-mini eshop,
    in combination with this adapter: Amazon.com: PCIe x1-Adapter for Mini-PCI-Express Wifi card w/ 3 antennas: Computers & Accessories to build up a box like the Sophos SG1xxw appliances...
    what do you think?

Gerald
  • I have not seen any PCI PnP IDs ("lspci -nn" output) from any SG1XXw appliances, yet. Let's wait for that so we can make sure people buy the same card that Sophos builds in. Otherwise you need to patch stuff as described above...
  • Sophos uses a different chipset with different featureset and they seem to hardcode it into hostapd. The Compex WLE200NX doesn't support the features 'LDPC' & 'SHORT-GI-20', though and hostapd complains. So, the optimal solution is to buy a wifi card that has the same chipset that Sophos uses.

Workaround: Edit "/etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf-default" like this and restart middleware via "/etc/init.d/mdw restart"
    #ht_capab=[]

ht_capab=[HT40+][SHORT-GI-40][TX-STBC][RX-STBC1][DSSS_CCK-40]

This file will be overwritten by Up2Date whenever it contains a hostapd RPM, though!

Someone with an SG1XXw appliance here? Which Atheros wifi chip does it use?

Hint: Type "iw list" to get a list of all supported features / capabilities of your wifi, that way I figured out which ones the Compex didn't have.

Big Thanx for that solution.
    I got it to work with a internal Compex WLE200NX a/b/g/n miniPCI express radio card.

But finally i used the old TP-Link TL-WR1043ND (with OpenWRT) in AP-Mode, which works also as switch.
  • I had this working on my apu1d using the workaround in post #7 above but after the latest update to 9.306-6, the access point is gone.  The file "/etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf-default" still has my changes to it so it was not overwritten but I don't see the access point in Wireless Protection > Access Points.

Anyone else run into this or have a fix?

The card I am using is this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IR60J82 (Atheros AR9280 AR5BXB92 Wirless Mini Pci-E Wlan Card 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz 802.11a/b/g/n 300M)