[9.065][FEATURE] Feed Back Download Throttling Function

Hi, this is my feedback on the download throttling mechanism. First, this is a great feature and works surprisingly well considering this is an initial offering. However there are a couple of things that I don't like.

1. I don't like the advanced section in traffic selectors (screenshot 1). I think the advanced section should go under QoS->Download Throttling. The reason I say is that because of the following:
Consider an interface that is shaped. I want all http traffic shaped all the time at a certain bandwidth but if a large download starts I want it throttled further. To do that right now, I will have to create two separate traffic selectors. One that shapes http traffic all the time and another one that has the advanced section enabled. If the advanced section was under QoS->Download throttling, I could have used the same selector.

2. If the advanced section (screenshot1) belongs in Qos->Traffic Selectors, then I can almost do everything under bandwidth pools that I can under Download Throttling. Only added feature that Download throttling tab brings is the limit feature (screenshot 2)[:S]

I think the feature is great but the implementation is making it look extra difficult. Maybe once the documentation comes out it will make more sense but for now I find it very confusing and frustrating to use.
Regards
Bill

• 1. I don't like the advanced section in traffic selectors (screenshot 1). I think the advanced section should go under QoS->Download Throttling. The reason I say is that because of the following:
    Consider an interface that is shaped. I want all http traffic shaped all the time at a certain bandwidth but if a large download starts I want it throttled further. To do that right now, I will have to create two separate traffic selectors. One that shapes http traffic all the time and another one that has the advanced section enabled. If the advanced section was under QoS->Download throttling, I could have used the same selector.

I think the problem is that the selectors don't shape/limit, they just "assign"
    traffic/connections to a given bandwidth pool (or throttling rule).

I.e., the current method e.g. allows to assign "short-lived, low traffic" connections
    to different priority than "big volume" ones.  Don't see how that would be possible
    without "sent/received more/less" being a selector property/criterion.

2. If the advanced section (screenshot1) belongs in Qos->Traffic Selectors, then I can almost do everything under bandwidth pools that I can under Download Throttling. Only added feature that Download throttling tab brings is the limit feature (screenshot 2)[:S]

I think the feature is great but the implementation is making it look extra difficult. Maybe once the documentation comes out it will make more sense but for now I find it very confusing and frustrating to use.

I am sorry to hear that; and I hope we can improve this situation.
    simply speaking:

bandwith pool -> guarantee bandwith/limit bandwith for traffic to be sent
    ("traffic shaping")
    download throttling -> limit traffic arriving at the asg
    ("ingress policing")

Yes, you can indeed achive most of this using bandwidth pools by setting 
    "upper bandwidth limit" for the pool.  However, it was my impression that when people want to limit downloads, they are usually confused that they need to add the pool on their _internal_ interface.

Does this clear things up?

I'd be very interested in making qos easier to use/understand.
  • Thank you for your detailed explanation. I like the functionality and as I said earlier, it works great. Maybe too many tabs is what I have a problem with. 

I love astaro because even with a pretty gui on top, detailed configuration is still possible on the backend. But that is a double edged sword, not everyone wants detailed configuration. Some admins just want to write a simple rule to throttle http traffic from the internet. They don't want to be bothered with which interface and so on. This is possible to some extent via flow monitor because you can see the actual bandwidth numbers which makes choosing the interface easy. Maybe a similar functionality can be extended to the QoS section where traffic can be controlled flow monitor style. 

Also, the flow monitor has the option to look at detailed information on certain protocol by clicking on it but not the option to  throttle it. If there was a way to apply the throttling rule for large downloads in flow monitor with a single click, this feature would be a lot more powerful.

Screenshot shows kind of what I have in mind.

Regards
    Bill
  • Thanks for reporting. We are now tracking this as Mantis ID #24381
  • The Mantis ID #24381 is now being worked on. We are planning to release a fix for this issue in Version 9.080.
  • The Mantis ID #24381 is now being worked on. We are planning to release a fix for this issue in Version 9.075.