This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

UTM 9 updating DNS entries in Windows

Hello,

We currently have a Sophos UTM 9 that provides DHCP to our network. However we use a Windows 2008 DC to provide DNS to that same network. Recently we've been encountering many issues with duplicate DNS entries in the DNS manager. I've enabled scavenging and upped the DHCP lease to try and combat this but it still continues to happen. Is there a way to configure the UTM 9 to dynamically update the Windows Server's DNS entries whenever a client receives a new IP? I believe this would resolve the issue as currently we have several workstations that have anywhere from 2-4 entries in the DNS table.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi and welcome aboard,
    do you have the UTM acting as your dns source and the server referring to the UTM?

Also I suspect one of the Mods will move your thread to the correct topic area. The area you have posted in is the SUM a UTM management application.

Ian
  • Why do you use the UTM-DHCP instead of using the build in DCHP from 2008R2?

When you use MS-DHCP it will update the MS-DNS whenever a change occurs.
  • Hehe UTM even doesn't support updating it's own DNS [:)]
  • Hi and welcome aboard,
    do you have the UTM acting as your dns source and the server referring to the UTM?

Also I suspect one of the Mods will move your thread to the correct topic area. The area you have posted in is the SUM a UTM management application.

Ian

The UTM is acting as our DHCP and refers to the Windows DC as the DNS source for the network.
  • Why do you use the UTM-DHCP instead of using the build in DCHP from 2008R2?

When you use MS-DHCP it will update the MS-DNS whenever a change occurs.

Unfortunately I didn't set this up, I'm new with this position and want to try to make the best of what's currently setup. I was under the assumption that some DHCP servers could update MS-DNS whenever new addresses were handed out?
  • Hi, and welcome to the User BB!

As Trollvottel posted above, this is not the case with the UTM.

The DNS service in the UTM is more of a Proxy than a full, complete DNS server.  You should use the DHCP server in the DC.  See DNS Best Practice.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA