This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Feature request: Masquerading for additional IP-addresses

Currently (v7.401 and earlier) it is impossible to select Masquerading for additional IP addresses, it is only possible to choose the nics' main IP addresses.

The workaround is to use snat, but it is a nightmare if you have many nics and vpn:s.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Erik, I think Masquerading works with an interface, so it takes whatever address is on the interface.  Are there other products that allow masquerading not on the primary IP?

You didn't say what you want to accomplish, but have you considered policy routing?  What about using VLANs instead of Additional Addresses (I don't know if that will work, I'm just ideating)?

Anyway, it will be interesting to learn the solution you find.

Cheers - Bob

Sophos UTM Community Moderator
    Sophos Certified Architect - UTM
    Sophos Certified Engineer - XG
    Gold Solution Partner since 2005
    MediaSoft, Inc. USA
  • "Erik, I think Masquerading works with an interface, so it takes whatever address is on the interface. Are there other products that allow masquerading not on the primary IP?"

Let say that you have three nics with IP adresses A, B and C.
    A is external and there you have an additional IP adress D.

On network B and C you have two webservers, one on each network. Masquerading on external for net B is as usual. However, you cannot set up Masquerading for net C using the additional IP address D on the external interface.
  • hi there, 

this is work in progress and should be part of the next feature update.

regards
    Gert
  • hi there, 

this is work in progress and should be part of the next feature update.

regards
    Gert

This sounds great! We have asked for that feature about one year ago - it would be fantastic if this came true.
  • I always believed that Masquerade NAT is the same as Source NAT (SNAT), but Masquerading allows for this  functionality even though these internal machines don't have  an officially assigned IP address.

My ISP provides me the entire class C for public IP addresses and therefore for me it is natural to use additional public addresses for SNAT other servers, 
    [LEFT]for many local area networks, simple IP authentication, etc.

Therefore, I can not imagine to be limited only to the IP masquerade and one public IP address.

------
    [LEFT]I would like to add that  much more desirable feature would be adding the possibility of configuration  http proxy profiles for use different public IP addresses the same way as is  done by doing SNAT for outgoing packets from different local networks.

Read more at: http://www.astaro.org/astaro-gateway-products/general-discussion-feature-requests/25390-feature-requests-configuration-proxy-profiles-use-different-public-source-ip.html[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]