This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

newbie here - Basic questions

Hello

I've been appointed as IT manager for my small office.. (another burden I have to carry) and previous guy didnt document anything... so I'm left witha sophos UTM100 and 3 Sophos AP 30.

the thing is that Wireless functions are crappy, disconnectios, very slow, imposible to connect, etc.

My guesses

A) AP's are controlled by UTM

B) UTM is underpowered (I get many messages of 95% of HD used, also internet connection is quite slow due packet análisis, so systme is usualy at 100% usage.

C) I believe this underpowered UTM is affecting also Wireless management.

So, providing that the avobe is true, and that we dont have the Budget to replace UTM,  can I have the 3 APS working as stand alone (without being controlled by UTM)? is there another device that is specifics controlls the APS (like the unify cloud key https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-cloud-key/ ) hat is relatively cheap, and will unload the job form UTM.

thanks!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • A) AP's are controlled by UTM

True

B) UTM is underpowered (I get many messages of 95% of HD used, also internet connection is quite slow due packet análisis, so systme is usualy at 100% usage.

Likely, do you have access to the UTM device? do a manual data purge if you have to and maybe apply less stricted policies and turn off IPS to reduce system load

UTM100 is old, you need to plan an upgrade

can I have the 3 APS working as stand alone (without being controlled by UTM)?

No, it does not work that way.

is there another device that is specifics controlls the APS

Yes, You can install UTM/XG on a spare PC but you need a license as you use it for commerical purpose. Sophos UTM/XG is a good product SG125/SG125W should be fine and it does not cost that much

• A) AP's are controlled by UTM

True

Likely, do you have access to the UTM device? do a manual data purge if you have to and maybe apply less stricted policies and turn off IPS to reduce system load

UTM100 is old, you need to plan an upgrade

can I have the 3 APS working as stand alone (without being controlled by UTM)?

No, it does not work that way.

is there another device that is specifics controlls the APS

Yes, You can install UTM/XG on a spare PC but you need a license as you use it for commerical purpose. Sophos UTM/XG is a good product SG125/SG125W should be fine and it does not cost that much

Children
No Data