This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

XG - Separate Zone Vs Bridged VLAN functionality

All,

So I just made the jump from UTM to XG v17 and so far I'm liking it! I have a couple of issues/tweaks that I'm going to suggest, but for the most part things are good.

I just picked up an AP15C (How come no dual radio in the AP15??? You guys blew that!) to replace my UniFi and in the process I've run into a few things that I'm looking to get some info on. When configuring a new SSID you have the option to use a Separate Zone or Bridged VLAN for the client traffic. I had some issues with getting the Separate Zone to work, but as I'm typing this I believe I figured out the error of my ways!

The question is there an advantage to either way? I mean, the traffic has to flow through the XG no matter if the router interface is a VLAN off the Physical LAN interface or off the virtual WiFi Zone Interface, correct? Policy and be built and applied wherever so I'm just looking for input if one way is better than the other?

Thanks!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I have setup voucher based guest wifi hotspot on my XG 17 (AP55 + AP55C) and guest wifi SSID is mapped to a separate zone.

Separate zone is so easy, I did not even have to create the zone myself.

VLAN is handy if you want to create hotspot using 3rd party APs, like Cisco or HP.

the traffic has to flow through the XG no matter if the router interface is a VLAN off the Physical LAN interface or off the virtual WiFi Zone Interface, correct?

I believe so

There are other features provided by VLANs so you could be able to do more with VLANs.

I bought a AP55C on ebay for 80GBP, good luck.

• Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I've been playing around with both ways and it seems that if you want to create a completely separate network then the using a WiFi zone makes the most sense. If devices need to be on the same network then a bridged VLAN makes the most sense.

Cheers!

-Rogue

• Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I've been playing around with both ways and it seems that if you want to create a completely separate network then the using a WiFi zone makes the most sense. If devices need to be on the same network then a bridged VLAN makes the most sense.

Cheers!

-Rogue

Children
No Data