This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SNMP or Syslog?

Are there plans to enable SNMP on Sophos Central AP's? I know the whole idea behind them is to be cloud managed and all but it would be nice to have the capability to monitor the devices with our tools. Relying on support for any and all issues for troubleshooting is a bit inefficient and sometimes takes too long. If we could monitor these devices it would be beneficial to all parties. Thanks!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Ironically a day after posting this I had to call support about an issue with iOS 4 devices connecting to Central AP's. I called support and they stated they are unable to view the logs for the devices. So if support can't view logs and we can't view logs...are we just supposed to plug it in and hope everything always works?

Also - if support can't view the logs then what is the option "Forward Access Points Logs" used for?

• Hi,

per default, all fatal, error and warning logs are sent to Sophos Central - as long as the device can reach the servers. "Forward Access Point Logs" results in info & debug logs to be sent as well. Support can access these logs. Furthermore, support can log into the access points if enabled so on the settings page.

Please point your support contact to me in case this is stated again. I'm sorry for the misleading statement.

Log access for users will be added pretty soon. For the time being, there's a mitigation you can use:

1. Go to the "sites" page
    2. In case you haven't done it yet: create a site and add your APs to it
    3. Open your browsers javascript console
    4. type sc.setFlag('wireless.sites.debugging.enabled')
    5. Open your site - you should now see a "Debug" section with a checkmark for a syslog server
    6. Enter the IP address for your syslog server and press save
    7. It should take up to 30 seconds till the first logs appear

Be aware that this feature is not secured in any way. Logs are sent in plain text without any encryption. You have to ensure that you lock down your AP management network as well as your syslog server. We will expose this feature as soon as we have added proper security measures. Furthermore, we will add an option to view/download recent logs soon.

Kind regards,

Dirk Bolte

• Hi,

per default, all fatal, error and warning logs are sent to Sophos Central - as long as the device can reach the servers. "Forward Access Point Logs" results in info & debug logs to be sent as well. Support can access these logs. Furthermore, support can log into the access points if enabled so on the settings page.

Please point your support contact to me in case this is stated again. I'm sorry for the misleading statement.

Log access for users will be added pretty soon. For the time being, there's a mitigation you can use:

1. Go to the "sites" page
    2. In case you haven't done it yet: create a site and add your APs to it
    3. Open your browsers javascript console
    4. type sc.setFlag('wireless.sites.debugging.enabled')
    5. Open your site - you should now see a "Debug" section with a checkmark for a syslog server
    6. Enter the IP address for your syslog server and press save
    7. It should take up to 30 seconds till the first logs appear

Be aware that this feature is not secured in any way. Logs are sent in plain text without any encryption. You have to ensure that you lock down your AP management network as well as your syslog server. We will expose this feature as soon as we have added proper security measures. Furthermore, we will add an option to view/download recent logs soon.

Kind regards,

Dirk Bolte

Children
No Data