This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

AP55C and UTM 9.4 (Home licensed)

Not sure if I'm missing something here.  I have a newly installed AP 55C and new UTM 9.4 Home.  The AP was seen by the UTM and is serving up the SSIDs that I want it to.  The only issue is when I connect to the AP, a lot of things are blocked, even though I've got the wireless protection wide open and blocking nothing.

As simple as browsing Facebook, the first post on my wall shows partially, the FB background stuff shows, no other posts.  When I switch back to my old/regular WAP, then all browsing is fine.

I had really high hopes for this, but I'm afraid I may have to return the AP55C and decommission the UTM for something else.

Any thoughts on why it may be blocking things like this?

I am pretty technically competent (I'm an IT SysAdmin) but have never used the Sophos environment before so don't know if I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks for any help or advice!

d

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi,

can you check that DNS is working properly? It might be that you've cached the main Facebook page on your computer but every resolution of the CDNs behind it fail. Please check various domains.

Please also check whether you can reach the internet at all (e.g. 8.8.8.8 , a google DNS server) .

Have you configured a NAT firewall rule between the different networks?

Kind regards,

Dirk Bolte

• Hi Dirk,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes, DNS is working properly.  And it's fair to say that FB is just an example.  I can browse plenty of places, just not all, and really only some.  And it's not that FB never works, It will load some new posts, then show placeholders for other posts.  It really acts like something is being filtered.

There are two outbound NAT rules, they are:

Internal (LAN) (Network) --> External (WAN)
    Wireless Guest Network (Network) --> External (WAN)

It also does not seem to matter if it is MAC OS or Windows, both exhibit identical symptoms.  Right now on my Win10 box the speedtest.net page has been loading for 5 minutes.  If I bypass the UTM and connect directly to the modem the speedtest loads immediately and completes within a few seconds.

What should we look at next?

DArhl

• What kind of networks are you using? Separate Zone, or Bridge-to-LAN?

Are you using Web Protection?

• It's both wireless and wired.  The wireless is "bridged to AP Lan".  Same result whether wired or wireless.

Web Protection is technically on:

• Global tab
      • Allowed Networks are Internal (LAN)
      • Operation mode is Transparent mode
    • HTTPS tab
      • URL filterning only
      • Do not proxy HTTPS traffic in transparent mode is unchecked
    • Policies tab
      • No policies applied
      • Base Policy set to
        • Any users/groups
        • Anytime
        • Wide Open

I turned the web protection off and it appears to work (at least on the wired side).  I'm not currently home so can't test the wireless.  At this point, it seems to be related to the Web Protection...

d

• So I just tested from home and my laptop is experiencing the same symptoms.  Yes, I have a current connection to the internet, I can ping anywhere, but when browsing it only loads part of the page (i.e. Facebook).

I may see if I have better luck with the XG vs UTM.

• Unknown said:

I may see if I have better luck with the XG vs UTM.

OK, looks like changing from the UTM_9.4 to the XG_16 made the difference.  Everything is working the way I would expect it to.
Reply Children
No Data