This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

iDevice

Is anyone having issues with iDevices (iPhone, iPad, etc.) connecting?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I personally have an iPhone6 and iPhone6s in Sophos Wireless, both connect smoothly: just today I was doing a "Skype for Business" call while switching from LTE to Sophos Wireless with WPA2 Personal and had no noticeable glitch.

Can you specify what you experience? Is the connection failing occasionally? Is it taking longer than expected? Please also tell us the SN(s) of the APs affected + the MAC addresses you experience the problems with.

If you can reproduce this, enabling log forwarding on the "Settings" page would help us debugging this issue.

• The problem is that iPhone seem to only want to work on 2.4 Ghz. I set the SIDD to only 2.4 and the Apple products work. The strange thing is they sometimes connect if the encryption is turned on . i am wondering if it is more a Apple firmware problem? I have seen similar things happen with Aruba Networks. and turning on Bonjour support has fixed the problem on their equipment in the past.

• Thanks, I think that will help us isolating it. If you see more patterns that would contribute please don't hesitate to tell us. I created CWIFI-4269 to track this issue.

• Hi,

in our last long running tests (without band steering) we see MacBooks, iPhones 6 + 6s as well as iPads connecting to 5 Ghz seamlessly. Next to that, we meanwhile offer band steering to enforce this behaviour. 

One behaviour we observed is that iPhones/iPads tend to connect to the strongest signal. When both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz are running at 100%, the 2.4 Ghz signal can be stronger when being a little further away from the access point. To mitigate that, limiting the signal strength for 2.4 Ghz to 75% can help. This behaviour we don't observe with MacBooks - these prefer 5 Ghz in most cases.

Can you please check whether you still observe this behaviour with the latest release?

Kind regards,

Dirk Bolte

• I have (mainly) iPhone 5 (iOS 10.1/10.2) which will not connect to hidden/not hidden ssids again

when returning to the office.  You have to connect to the wifi again (sometimes with entering the

passphrase/psk.

I do not notice this behaviour on iPhone 6.

• Hi,

there are some reports about IOS issues with a similar pattern. In many cases, "forgetting" the network seemed to help. http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-fix-ios-10-wifi-issues-guide/ has a description for this. Can you check whether this addresses your issue?

Kind regards,

Dirk Bolte

• Hi Dirk,

the following was tested:

Reboot Router Or Modem (UTM)

- Hard Reboot Your Device

- Forget & Rejoin WiFi Network

- Reset Network Settings

- Toggle Wi-Fi Assist

- Toggle Location Services For Wi-Fi Networking

- Build new WLAN on UTM

So the only thing I did not do is the clean install of the os.

Kind regards

Maik

• Hi,

can you open a support request so that we can have a look at the APs ourselves? We need to check what the beacons are looking like + what the interface configuration is, so that we can do a reproduction in-house.

Next to iPhone5, have you seen it on any other device type? Is there any iPhone5 in your environment that doesn't show this behaviour?

Kind regards,

Dirk Bolte