This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Issue with Mesh Network on a AP 100X

I am really hoping someone has ran into this. 

Setup is an XG 115 and about 6 AP 55C APs.  I installed a AP 100X and it works great.  Then I added a mesh network with the AP 100X  (we will call this one ROOT) as the root and then a second AP 100X (we will call this one MESH) as the mesh.  No matter what I tried I couldn't get the MESH AP 100X to connect to the mesh network.  I worked with Sophos support for 4 hours and they tried everything and couldn't get it working either.

We tried same channels, different names, etc... EVERYTHING!!  They eventually told me they need to research it and will get back to me.

If I choose one of the AP55Cs as the root then the MESH AP 100X connects to it no problem so it seems to be only when the ROOT AP 100X is the root device.  I need to get this working using the AP 100X as I am trying to span a gap of about 250 feet and the AP 55C isn't strong enough to make that especially since it is inside.  

Anyone ever run into this before?

Thanks,

J

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi  

The AP100x should work as the Root AP. The only time it won't work is for 5 GHz Mesh. There's no mention of any limitations with AP100x. Please keep us posted for the progress of this case.

Regards

Jaydeep

• Hey Joey,

Just had a similar issue setting up a bridge between two AP 100X's managed with an XG115w to connect two buildings.

When the AP 100X was the root device, the remote AP 100X would never come online. When searching I found your post and thought it was quite strange to see you with an almost identical problem. So I tried with a spare AP55 as the root device and the bridge came up without issue.

I had done a pattern update on the XG to AP Firmware 11.0.008, while this didn't seem to immediately solve the problem the bridge came up on its own while speaking with support about the issue - about 35 minutes after the last restart. I then power cycled everything for the bridge and it came up within 2 minutes.

I suspect one or the other AP possibly had not taken the new AP firmware and I simply was not waiting long enough for it to update.

I can confirm AP 100X as a mesh root device is working as expected, make sure your pattern updates are done and let the AP's sit for a while.

Good luck.

• You are spot on!!!  I just got home after another 8 hours of troubleshooting.  Sophos support recommended updating the firmware which was on 11.0.001.  I pushed 11.0.008 to all the APs.  Tried for about 20 minutes and it didn't seem to fix the issue.  I then redid the ends on my outdoor cat6 cable and things started working.   I think it was about 35 minutes later.  I don't think redoing my cable fixed the issue.  I just don't think I waited long enough.

Seems to be working now.  Glad I spent 10+ hours trying to get it working when a simple firmware update would of fixed it.  Sophos support during our 3 hour call yesterday not once checked the firmware on the APs.  Also why am I on hold for 1.5 hours every time I call support?  Seems a little excessive especially for a partner! 

Thanks for the reply!  Just glad it is working now.