This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

License for APX 320

Hi, 

A customer has an XG firewall with active license. Now he purchased APX 320 and he wants to register it on Sophos Central ( central.sophos.com)

So will he have to buy a Central Wireless license seperately or is it included in the APX 320 ?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Kandarp,

To use Wireless in Sophos Central the customer would require a separate license.

Please reach out to your local Sophos sales team or distributor for pricing.

Best regards

Barbara

• I apologize and I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I take serious issue with this.  No where on this site that I am linking does it say that additional license is required to do basic setup  and configuration of the equipment that you have already purchased from Sophos through Sophos Central.  It only says that your equipment can be configured and managed through Sophos Central.  The documentation that I received from Sophos customer service shows me license keys for each one of the AP's that I have purchased.

https://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/secure-wifi/tech-specs.aspx

This is ridiculous.  I went through my supplier, purchased several APX access points fulling expecting to be able to configure them and use them online to find out there is addition costs to even just setup them up?  Please tell me this is not what Sophos intended?  Please clarify this.  As of right now, I have purchased several paperweights with no way to configure them.

Regards,

Terry

• Hi Terry,

I believe that your situation and that in the original thread are a little different, as the original thread referred to an XG Firewall customer.

In your case:

if you've received license keys for each of the APXs you purchased, then you should have the subscription for them for Sophos Central management. You should be able to register your access points in Sophos Central. Should there be any issues with the activation or registration process, or should you require additional help with that, please do reach out to your Sophos partner for support. They should also be able to help you get up and running with the product.

For clarification on Wireless licensing in general:

Wireless usually consists of two separate components:

1. the access point - which needs to be purchased
    2. the license to manage it, the pricing of which varies depending upon the product you want to manage the access point with
    • for Sophos Central, the license is a subscription purchased per AP per year. 
    • for XG Firewall, a perpetual license for Wireless Protection is included in the purchase price of the XG appliance as part of the Base License

This is also shown on the How to Buy page on sophos.com https://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/secure-wifi/how-to-buy.aspx 

We have also offered the APX hardware + Sophos Central subscription in a bundle to be able to offer a single order number for both components. However, we have recently had some reports of activation issues with this, which we are in the process of resolving in our system. Should this be the issue in your case, please reach out to customer support.

Additional note:

XG Firewall support for APX 320, 530 and 740 will be introduced around Feb 11

Hope this helps,

Barbara

• BarbaraH

I appreciate your response.  Thank you.  While I complete do not agree, I do appreciate your response.  As an End user, I relied on my Sophos partner to get me the necessary equipment that I needed.  Now, I know what you are going to say.  We can't control what our partners say or do, etc, etec, blah, blah.  That is truly not the point. 

The company I work for is also an XG user with several installed and operational in several companies, but even that is misleading.  I point you to your very own example site above, where it says,  :

Controller-managed Wireless

If you're already using Sophos UTM or Sophos XG Firewall, then you can use your existing appliance as a Wireless controller. Find out more under:

• Sophos UTM
    • Sophos XG Firewall

No where does it say   "oh, what we really meant was sometime after February or so when the software is released"

In fact, the original release notes say late 2018, and then there is another page that says Sometime in February.  But really again, that is not truly the point.

It is a great business model for you guys to make money, but I have always felt that a company should be able to rest on the quality of its product, instead of nickel and diming its customers to death.  

Having to pay yet an extra fee, even to just use the product that was purchased is just not good for customers.  Good for business yes.....

You don't have to agree, and that is fine.  Ultimately, I am forced to wait for the software update now for my XG's before I can use this product.

Terry

• Hi Terry,

I will ensure that the incorrect information regarding the XG Firewall support is fixed ASAP.

We always appreciate your feedback on how we can make the information we provide on our website easy to understand and not leave it open to potentially incorrect interpretation.

If your intention is to manage your APX Access Points on your XG Firewall, then, yes, you will have to wait until v.17.5 MR 3 is made available (17.5.3) on around Feb 11th. The release will be announced on the XG Firewall Community which you can follow here https://community.sophos.com/products/xg-firewall/b/xg-blog 

Thanks for your input,

Barbara

• Hi Terry

Previous AP ( Ap55) can be managed with SG with a separate licence or with an XG ( with a WiFi licence integrated). the APX never will be managed by UTM SG but with XG ( it has always been communicate like this)

To Manage AP or APX you need a licence to use them in Sophos central, like any Sophos central product ( Endpoint, server, mobile etc )

What I can suggest you as a temporary solution is to do a central WiFi central in order to install and give acces to your user and when the MR next week you will be able to mange them in XG....

But as the release is in less that 2 weeks maybe it worth waiting...

Regards,

Chrsitophe

Christophe Pépin | Responsable Partenaires Nord-Ouest
    O  01 34 34 80 33 | M 07 86 14 57 31| @Christof_Pepin