how to setup an AP aithout any LAN

Hi,

is there a way to setup an AP55 to communicate to SG135 without network cable or do I have to do the initial config via LAN?

I want Inter-AP Communication on 5 GHz and Clients should connect to 2.4 GHz. Is there any how-to available?

• Hi  

You would require the AP to be connected to the LAN via network cable in order for it to be detected by your UTM. 

You can select the Frequency Band you'd like to use (2.4 or 5) when you set up the Wireless Networks.

Here is a startup guide for our AP's: Operating Instructions - Sophos Access Points

Cheers,
    Karlos

• In reply to Karlos:

Karlos,

thanks for answer. AP is up and running. All fine. But now I need to change communication between router and AP from lan cable to WLAN (installation destination is without any lan infrastructure)! How can I do this? I want communication between router and AP in 5 GHz band and clients should connect to 2,4 GHz band.

• In reply to GernotMeyer:

Hi  

Our AP's do not support over the air operations, therefore, a wired LAN connection is necessary.

As per the different bands, like I mentioned this can be configured on your wireless network. You can configure a different band per SSID. As a wireless connection is not possible b/w your router & AP (since it needs to be wired), for your clients, you can choose the band under Wireless Protection > Wireless Networks > edit or add your Wireless Network > Advanced > Frequency band.

Thanks,
    Karlos

• In reply to Karlos:

Hi Karlos,

that's bad information. So we need to use another vendor because lan connection is impossible ;-(.

Thanks

Gernot

• In reply to Karlos:

Hi,

I found this article: https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/119138

So Setting up a mesh WLAN Network seems to solve exactly what I need... isn't it?

Hi  

I didn't offer this option due to the model of your AP as this shows to only be available with AP 50's.

I do not have an AP 55 to test with but will test with a higher model AP and get back to you whether this can be achieved.

Cheers,
    Karlos

Hi Gernot, 

I've completed my testing and a mesh network can be achieved with an AP 100C. Therefore, it should be successful with your AP 55 as well. If you are able to test please update this thread with your results.

The only limitation would be that only AP 50's can do the 5 GHz frequency band

I've sent the KB over for review and edits by our KB team!

Thanks,
    Karlos

• In reply to Karlos:

Update: our KB team has updated that KB article: Sophos UTM: How to setup a wireless mesh network along with creating a Wireless Mesh Compatibility document (embedded in this KB). 

Thanks again Gernot for bringing this up.

Cheers,
    Karlos

• In reply to Karlos:

Karlos,

cool thing.

But the Sophos Router 135W itself in unable to act as part of the wlan mash network itself! Isn't it?

neither as mash root nor satellite

So we are where we have been before: we need a cable between router and the ap that will be mesh root. Do you confirm?

Hi  

That is correct. As per our Mesh Compatibility KB: Sophos Wireless Access Points: Mesh compatibility list, SG/XG-W series appliances can not be part of a MESH network. 

Best,

Karlos

• In reply to Karlos:

Hi Carlos,

the root mash can also not be part of the mesh network, isn't it?

So we need a router and 3 APs to get 2 APs for client access. Is this right?