This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Different networks visible depending on Client OS

Can someone explain how I can see all three Sophos Cloud broadcasted networks on my Mac, but only one on the Green Windows laptop?

On the Macbook Air I can see and connect to all three wireless networks, but on the PC I see only the first.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi John,

Could this be broadcasting on a frequency your green windows laptop doesn't support? Or perhaps a wireless standard that isn't in supported (802.11ac for example)

Sean

• Hi Sean, I know the Lenovo has a problem with some 5GHz frequencies, but this is an AP100 that is only able to transmit on 2.4GHz. They are all 802.11b/g/n, and I can connect to the first one. Apparently it just takes an awfully long time, as half an hour later they showed up on the Lenovo. So patience would have been the solution.

“First things first, but not necessarily in that order” – Doctor Who

• It shouldn't last that long in any case. Can you specify which TP model + OS version you have? We will try to reproduce it locally then.

• Hi ,

the AP100 supports 2.4 GHz as well as 5 GHz. It also supports 802.11ac. So it could be possible that this is an issue.
    Is the network defined as 2.4GHz and/or 5GHz? And is a fixed or a automatic channel selected?

Regards,
    Balthasar

• T540p with Windows 7.

• All networks are defined as both 2.4 and 5 GHz networks. 2.4 GHz is fixed on channel 1,  5 GHz on 64. This particular AP100 refuses to transmit on 5GHz. Unfortunately I never used it before, so I can´t tell if the AP had failed before applying the initial firmware for Cloud Wireless. Or is it Central Wireless? 

• Channel 64 is a DFS channel, which is not supported by all devices.

Can you please try configuring channel 36 and check if you see the network?

• I understand it is just "Sophos Wireless" no cloud or any other mutable title. 

From my memory in the 5GHz space loads of channels are protected and either your gear should transmit low power and/or get out of the way of other radar and satellite tech using that band. Thus Dynamic frequency and transmit power controls. In some implementations the AP just won't transmit in those bands as a simpler multi region friendly method of dealing with the issue. 

In Aus you need both DFS and TPC for use in channel 64, in America only DFS and in Europe indoors only and DFS and TPC.

I'm not sure how Sophos Wireless access points are configured to behave here - I guess we can at least know which region the AP is in from the sites section and ensure we behave correctly in that region. 

• The country code of an access point will be defined over the site it is located in. You can see the active country code on the AP details page:

Reply Children
No Data