Changing from Sophos Anti Virus to Sophos Home

My OS is macOS Sierra v 10.12.6 (I expect that I will upgrade to High Sierra over the next few months). I currently use Sophos Anti Virus but am considering changing to Sophos Home. I have some general questions where I would be grateful for some help/advice.

1) According to the Sophos blog posting https://community.sophos.com/products/sophos-home/b/blog/posts/sophos-home-support-for-macos-high-sierra-10-13---secure-kernel-extension-loading Sophos Home is compatible with MacOS High Sierra - is this blog authoritative and therefore correct??

2) If I want to change from Sophos Anti Virus to Sophos Home is the best process as follows:

(i) Sign up for Sophos Home
(ii) Download the Sophos Home installer
(iii) Uninstall Sophos Anti Virus with the built in Uninstaller
(iv) Install Sophos Home
Any other suggestions??

3) If uninstalling Sophos Anti Virus with the built in Uninstaller are there any residual Sophos files to remove??

4) Does Sophos Home also have a built in Uninstaller??

5) According to the Sophos web page: https://home.sophos.com/help#hs-section-2-0 under "Downloading the Sophos Home Software” it states “To install the Sophos Home software on the computer you used to create the account, click the Install button under the Add this Computer icon in the middle of the page.”. However when I log into my Sophos Home account (from the computer I used to create the account) there is no Install button but there is the option to download the Mac Installer. Although I am accessing the Sophos Home account on the same computer that was used to create the account I have done a clean reinstall of the MacOS since creating the Sophos Home account - perhaps that is why the Sophos Home Account is not “recognising” my computer??
I presume that even given these circumstances there is a mechanism that connects the downloaded and installed Sophos Home with the account that provided the download?? Do I have to do anything to establish this connection??
Would it be better to set up a brand new Sophos Home account??

6) I have a number of items “attached” to my Mac (a) local HDD's attached via USB to my Mac; and (b) a NAS on my LAN with HDD’s attached via USB to the NAS. By default Sophos Anti Virus excludes files on network volumes but for “Scan This Mac” but I have specifically excluded local HDD’s attached via USB to my Mac (else I think that the scan would take a very long time indeed!!). In looking at https://home.sophos.com/help#hs-section-2-0 I cannot see any equivalent options for Sophos Home. The Help page states that: "Note: Exceptions do not apply to full scans or on-demand scans."
If I initiate a “Full Scan” with Sophos Home does Sophos scan (a) local HDD's attached via USB to my Mac; and/or (b) the NAS on my LAN with the HDD’s attached via USB to the NAS??

7) On the Sophos Home web site there is mention of Sophos Home Premium. Then (to the extent that anybody on this Support Forum knows):
(a) When fully released it sounds as though Sophos Home Premium will be a paid version - is this correct??
(b) Will there still be a free Sophos Home??
(c) If there is going to be both a free and a paid version what will be the extra benefits/functionality of the paid version??
(d) What is the expected timing for the release of Sophos Home Premium (I would be interested in the Mac version)??

Many thanks.
  • 2) If I want to change from Sophos Anti Virus to Sophos Home is the best process as follows:,

Ans: Once you login onto Sophos Home, you may simply add device > download the installer. 

3) If uninstalling Sophos Anti Virus with the built in Uninstaller are there any residual Sophos files to remove??

Ans: No need to remove any residue files as it should be removed using the installer.

4) Does Sophos Home also have a built in Uninstaller??

Ans: Removal tool will be presented in App list 

5) 

Ans: the page would detect the OS you are using e.g. Windows , Mac , IOS and android The browser would send such info of the type and the installer would be downloaded accordingly. At the moment, Windows and MAC are compatible. Others would give an error. 

6),

Ans: There is an alternative feature which should be available according to our roadmap would be a "Quick Scan". That would scan and would skip backups and compressed files.

7) On the Sophos Home web site there is mention of Sophos Home Premium. Then (to the extent that anybody on this Support Forum knows):

(a) When fully released it sounds as though Sophos Home Premium will be a paid version - is this correct?? 
    Ans: It would be free while it is in beta phase. It would be paid version after the final release. 

(b) Will there still be a free Sophos Home??
    Ans:It would remain free for basic features (which is to be declared during the launch).

(c) If there is going to be both a free and a paid version what will be the extra benefits/functionality of the paid version?
    Ans: yes , (to be declared.).

• In reply to Aditya Patel:

Thanks for your responses. However some of your answers require clarification, viz (numbering as per my original post):

1) Is Sophos Home compatible with MacOS Sierra??

2) When I go to Sophos Home Account there is no “Add Device”. There is download Mac Installer. Are these the same thing??

If Mac Installer is downloaded and installed, what links installation to Sophos Home account??

6) In Sophos Home does a Full Scan include or exclude (a) Items on local network (eg on NAS on LAN); and/or (b) items on HDD’s attached to Mac via USB??

When is Quick Scan expected to be added to Sophos Home??

7) When is Sophos Home Premium for Mac expected to be released??

Thanks for your help.

• In reply to Adam Rogers:

1) Is Sophos Home compatible with MacOS Sierra??

Ans: Yes, compatible with both Sierra and High Sierra

2) When I go to Sophos Home Account there is no “Add Device”. There is download Mac Installer. Are these the same thing??

Yes, that is the first system added. 

If Mac Installer is downloaded and installed, what links installation to Sophos Home account??

Ans: This process is automatic - a customized version of the installer with specific settings is generated to link to the cloud account on install.

6) In Sophos Home does a Full Scan include or exclude (a) Items on the local network (eg on NAS on LAN); and/or (b) items on HDD’s attached to Mac via USB??

Ans: Yes. However, it does not apply to right-click scan (if scanning specific files and folders) on the mac. So you can add any files or folders he does not want to be scanned to the list, they would be excluded so long he is running a full scan.

When is Quick Scan expected to be added to Sophos Home??

We expect early 2018, however ultimately when the feature is in the best form.

7) When is Sophos Home Premium for Mac expected to be released??

Ans: early 2018

Thanks for your responses. One of your answers require clarification, viz (numbering as per my original post): 

6) 

Does your answer “yes” mean that a Full Scan includes or exclude (a) Items on local network (eg on NAS on LAN); and/or (b) items on HDD’s attached to Mac via USB?? 

You state “they would be excluded so long he is running a full scan”. However, in the Sophos Home help page: https://home.sophos.com/help#hs-section-2-0 under “File and Folder Exceptions” it specifically states “Note: Exceptions do not apply to full scans or on-demand scans. Exceptions only apply to on-access scans. On-demand exceptions work for PC, not Mac.

This seems to contradict the statement in your post??

NB: I have a Mac.

Again, many thanks for your help.

Aditya Patel: I would be very grateful if you would answer my last post.

Hi Adam ,

This content on Help page needs to be updated. If you right click scan then exceptions would not work otherwise it would work. 

Aditya

OK. That helps. But you still have not answered the question as follows:

Does a Full Scan (with the default settings i.e. no exclusions) include or exclude (a) Items on local network (eg on NAS on LAN); and/or (b) items on HDD’s attached to Mac via USB??

Could you please answer this question.

Aditya

Still looking for an answer to my last post??

Many thanks.

Aditya

Still looking for an answer to my post on 12 October??

Many thanks.