This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Telnet on Sophos SMTP Port 25(TCP)

Hi there,

i've got a strange issue, at least for me.

Once i had an older versoin of Sophos (I think it was 9.5 or similar) where i was not able to telnet the smtp port of my sophos. Which was fine, as the port was not visible to the outsiders. Nethertheless sophos accepted mails for redirecting it to an internal Linux SMTP server.

Today, working in other companies i see that TCP Port 25 is open for telnet on Sophos with similar (in fact the same) configurations like an exchange server for mails.

So what's the deal about it? Am i misundertanding something?

Furthermore, is there a possibility to change the message that appears if i execute "telnet EXTERNALIP 25" , as this gives me the internal hostname and i don't really think that this is a good idea:

220 myinternalserver.company.com ESMTP ready.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply
  • Well, you can not change the message entirely if you're using UTM for the Email Protection. However, you may specify the SMTP hostname which will be used in HELO and SMTP banner strings. You can configure it under Email Protection > SMTP > Advanced | Advanced Settings.

Regards

Jaydeep

Children
  • Hi,

thank you for your answers. In fact i was wrong. The old smtp server i've worked with is also reachable with "telnet SERVERNAME 25".

Changing the smtp hostname is no option as this would give me other problems in the process of smtp processing e-mails.